The Highlanders were originally formed as a mercenary unit by wealthy nobles on Aldebaran and Zurich. The founders had hopes of making money from the Capellan Confederation's need for troops during the Third Succession War.
|Unit Profile (as of 3063)|
|Parent Formation||Capellan Brigade|
This unit was employed throughout much of the 30th century in diversionary actions along the Marik border. Beginning in 3002 the Highlanders were reassigned to reaction-force duties in the Capellan interior where they participated in the defense of Highspire in 3012 and fought against the Davion raid on St. Ives in 3014.
In 3050 Ambermarle's Highlanders were based on Xieng Khouang, but their loyalty to the Confederation was perceived as being at a low ebb by the Maskirovka. The Highlanders were still in place on Xieng Khouang - and still doubted by the Maskirovka - in 3054.
Xin Sheng CampaignEdit
In 3061 Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao created the Capellan Brigade, incorporating a number of mercenary units including Ambermarle's Highlanders. Meanwhile Wendy Ambermarle is alleged to have commented that the Highlanders' acceptance of Capellan sponsorship was because "...someone has to bring a little class and breeding to the Capellan Brigade." The Highlanders' chose to paint a single silver thick silver band around the rear quarter of each vehicle, the wing of each fighter and one lower leg on each BattleMech, as a reminder of their mercenary origins. Joining the Capellan Brigade, the Highlanders were redeployed to Aldebaran, one of the worlds from which the battalion had originated. The Highlanders immediately began pressing for the recapture of Zurich, the other world associated with the Highlanders' beginnings.
In April of 3066 Ambermarle's Highlanders, supported by the 2nd Battalion of the Second McCarron's Armored Cavalry Regiment, successfully attacked the 3rd Free Worlds Guards on Zion. The Highlanders lost a company of 'Mechs and suffered only light losses to their infantry while salvaging three new FWL OmniFighters and inflicting three times their own losses on the Free Worlds Guard. Rumours that the Highlanders had already left Aldebaran before being contacted by the Second McCarron's Armored Cavalry have yet to be confirmed.
The Highlanders were driven off of Aldebaran by Word of Blake forces in 3070. Prior to that engagement however, they had held the system against Federated Suns mercenaries. They withdrew into the Capella Commonality and performed escort duties for supply convoys headed into the Liao Commonality until 3074. After serving on garrison duty for a few years, they struck Zion in 3077. Though they reached the world's surface in this assault, the Blakists inflicted massive casualties on the unit. They withdrew to Styk to recover. It was suspected that in the immediate wake of the Jihad the Highlanders had resorted to pilfering from the Tao MechWorks shipments from the plant on Styk intended for supply to Marshigama's Legionnaires to make up for the Highlander's low priority for supplies within the Capellan military.
|Commanding Officers of Ambermarle's Highlanders|
|Sang-shao||Wendy "The Old Witch" Ambermarle||3022 - 3067|
The Highlanders are fond of a tactic known as "dump and chase" wherein two lances of light or fast, medium 'Mechs drop behind enemy lines in hopes of being chased by opposing units. With the enemy so distracted, the remainder of the Highlanders attack en masse. The Highlanders use this tactic both to draw the enemy into a trap or to lighten the defense of a target site.
Ambermarle's Highlanders (1 Battalion/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Colonel Wendy Ambermarle
- XO: Major Anthony Duncan
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Xieng Khouang.  During that time, the Highlanders' primary BattleMechs were the Ostroc and the Locust; the unit itself was considered little more than a local militia organisation.
- CO: Colonel Wendy "The Old Witch" Ambermarle
Ambermarle’s Highlanders (1 battalion/Regular/Questionable) 
- CO: Colonel Wendy "The Old Witch" Ambermarle 
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Xieng Khouang. 
- XO/1st Battalion: Zhong-shao Vincent Pedroza
- 2nd Battalion: Zhong-shao Pawel Schmielewski
- Infantry Commander: Sao-shao William McCourtney
- Skilled in guerrilla tactics
The low loyalty rating of the Highlanders in 3063 reflected the Highlanders' willingness - or unwillingness, as the case may have been - to stick their collective necks out for the good of the Confederation.
- CO: Sang-shao Wendy Ambermarle
- CO: Sao-shao Jodie Clarke
Following their combat action on Zion, the Revolutionaries were at 86% of full strength and the Highlanders were at 72% of full strength. The Highlanders were operating with 24% of the unit using Star-League technology level BattleMechs and 6% Omni technology.
After the Zion assault, the Highlanders found their two battalions reduced to a quarter of their pre-Jihad strength. Rumors suggested that the Strategios was considering disbanding the Highlanders to make up losses in other units.
The insignia for Ambermarle's Highlanders is a green falcon in flight, tethered by a chain.
Whether by accident or intent, Ambermarle's Highlanders are missing from the NAIS Military Atlases of the 4th Succession War.
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 96
- 20 Year Update, p. 63
- Objective Raids, p. 42
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 97
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 98, "Ambermarle's Highlanders Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 28
- Field Report: CCAF, p. 17
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 100, "The Capellan Brigade"
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p. 107
- House Liao (The Capellan Confederation), p.107
- Historical: Brush Wars, p.88
- Field Manual: Mercenaries, p. 106
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 33
- Field Manual: Capellan Confederation, p. 130