Border Guards Agreement
The genesis of the Border Guards Agreement stems from the disastrous United Triumph Military Exercises in early 2572. Intended by First Lord Ian Cameron to show off the advanced technology, strength and prowess of the newly created Star League Defense Force in an attempt to cow the recalcitrant Periphery powers into joining the Star League, the exercises only revealed the new-born SLDF's inexperience, the opposing House military's defeating them in embarrassing fashion in almost every engagement despite their superior technology. Rather than shocked into joining, the Periphery realms openly scorned the Star League and its apparently inept military, gaining confidence that would be able to resist the First Lord's demands.    
Red-faced after the exercises, the First Lord consulted his wife and Commanding General of the SLDF Shandra Noruff-Cameron to devise a new means to intimidate them into joining. Her suggestion would ultimately become the Border Guards Agreement which allowed the Star League to purchase lands on any Member State world to establish military bases throughout the Inner Sphere to provide the SLDF unrestricted range. Though the presence of foreign soldiers in their realms irked some of the Council Lords, they eventually agreed to sign the treaty on 17 October 2572 and Noruff-Cameron quickly set in motion plans to construct 600 bases on the worlds along both the interior and exterior borders of the Member States, with special attention paid to the rapid construction and investiture of many bases near the Periphery. Rather prophetically, these new bases would prove vital during the later Reunification War.      
- Star League, p. 43 "United Triumph Military Exercises"
- Star League, p. 105 "Star League Defense Forces - Commanding Generals - General Shandra Noruff-Cameron (2751-2575)"
- Star League, p. 105 "Star League Defense Forces - Bases and Depots"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 18 "The Birth of the Star League - The Campaign for War - United Triumph"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 10 "History and Review - Timeline of Events: 2556-2750"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 14 "History and Review - Beginnings - Building an Army"