2nd Federated Suns Armored Cavalry(Redirected from Cunningham's Commandos)
Cunningham's Commandos were a mercenary unit that was created in the wake of the Fourth Succession War. As of ca. 3071, at the height of their power, they consisted of two regiments that each consisted of three 'Mech battalions, two armor battalions and one jump infantry battalion.
|Unit Profile (as of 3071)|
|CO||Danny Cunningham (dead by 3071)|
|Disbanded|| 3076 (merged into AFFS);|
The unit was created by Danny Cunningham, a mercenary captain from another defunct unit who recruited his own cadre from among mercenaries and AFFS veterans. The fledgling unit took dangerous contracts "on the edge of civilization" (implicitly, the periphery border) in the first years, hunting pirates and executing deep raids into the Draconis Combine and Capellan Confederation. With luck and skill the unit used salvaged equipment to swell their ranks, though in reality only half their 'Mechs were fully operational at any given time.
At one point several years prior to the War of 3039, Cunningham's Commandos had been privately employed by governor Yosuki Yamada of New Aberdeen when he had problems with pirates and rogue warriors.
War of 3039Edit
The jump-off point into the War of 3039 for Cunningham's Commandos was Benet III. Because of having been on New Aberdeen previously, the mercenaries were sent to support an organized uprising there that was part of the War of 3039 between March and July 3039. The mercenaries took governor Yamada into protective custody when insurgents threatened to kill him, ending up between the fronts of what amounted to a local civil war that had exploded like a powder keg by July.
When the Draconis Combine sent reinforcements (the 12th Galedon Regulars), Sho-sho Yamada moderated a solution by which the Combine forces would enact a joint peacekeeping mission together with the mercenaries, disarming citizens and imprisoning the worst offenders. Order was restored within three months.
Cunningham's Commandos left New Aberdeen in early December and returned to the posting on Novaya Zemlya post-war. They were charged with aiding the enemy, but acquitted following a communique from Yamada to the AFFS high command.
After the War of 3039 Cunningham's Commandos bounced from one border world to another for a time in AFFS employ. Finally, they were hired by the world of Novaya Zemlya to serve an a regular opposition force at the Novaya Zemlya Combat Training Center, where they spent long years mimicking Capellan tactics in war games against rotating AFFS forces. During this time, they added a second regiment to their roster that included one "swarm" company composed of twelve Grasshoppers.
Their assignment on Novaya Zemlya continued throughout the Clan Invasion, though each battalion was rotated through the Lyran Commonwealth front to give them some experience and bolster weakened Lyran defenders.
Chaos March and Civil WarEdit
When the Capellan Confederation invaded the St. Ives Compact, the 1st Cunningham Commandos regiment was dispatched to St. Ives while the second would escort relief supplies into the embattled region at the behest of Duke Hasek. Afterwards, they returned to Novaya Zemlya.
Throughout the FedCom Civil War, the unit conducted recon raids for Duke Hasek. In 3066 the 1st Cunningham's Commandos were dispatched from Zurich to Acamar by Duke Hasek, where they retook the world from Olson's Rangers (following a Capellan Confederation-backed invasion ploy).
In 3068 they took part in Hasek's ill-fated Operation: Sovereign Justice, where they saw heavy combat. It was reported that after helping the AFFS win the day on Hexare they made mistakes that the Capellans were quick to exploit in their relentless counterattacks; the Commandos suffered some 25% casualties before withdrawing to Weatogue by early 3069. The second regiment enjoyed successes on Gei-Fu, New Westin and Sendalor before significant damage from a counterattack and collapsing supply lines forced them to fall back to Mentasta by early 3069.
At one point in ca. 3076 Cunningham's Commandos were mauled in a Taurian Concordat attack and subsequently reorganized, folding into a single regiment; they forged an agreement with the AFFS to become a line regiment.
They were known as the 2nd FedSuns Armored Cavalry by 3076, partaking in the retaking of Schedar and were reportedly wiped out in combat against the Word of Blake's Shadow Divisions on New Home in 3078.
|Commanding Officers of Cunningham's Commandos|
|Danny Cunningham||At least from 3037 - 3071|
|Commanding Officers of the 2nd FedSuns Armored Cavalry|
Cunningham's Commandos (Regiment/Regular/Reliable)
- When randomly generating units Cunningham's Commandos may optionally roll once per lance on the "B" column of the appropriate Capellan Confederation table.
- Prior to any game the player controlling Cunningham's Commandos forces may have the Commandos gain the special abilities of any one CCAF unit, subject to the following provisos:
- The Commandos may not gain the special abilities of the Death Commandos.
- The Commandos may not gain any special abilities relating to the selection of forces for a battle.
- All abilities with a numerical value, such as bonuses and penalties to Initiative rolls, hit rolls et al, are halved (rounding up).
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 47
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 19; Field Report: AFFS, p. 20
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 74
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 50
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 126
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 140
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 101
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 124
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 42 (Chaos Irregulars entry); Decision at Acamar
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 17
- Masters and Minions, p. 47
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 20
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 74
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 140 >Historical: War of 3039, p. 140