Dire Wolf (Daishi)
- This article is about the OmniMech. For the WarShip, see Dire Wolf (Individual Sovetskii Soyuz-class WarShip).
|Manufacturer||Wolf Clan Site #1|
|Mech type||Clan OmniMech|
|Chassis||Titan HX Standard|
|Armor||Compound 12B2 Standard|
|Engine||Starfire 300 XL|
|Communications System||TJ6 "Bell" Integrated Communications System|
|Targeting Tracking System||Mars System 9|
|Heat Sinks||15 Double Heat Sinks|
The Dire Wolf is one of the OmniMechs that became feared throughout the Inner Sphere during the initial Clan Invasion and rightly so. The Dire Wolf weighs in at an impressive one hundred tons and has a relatively slow cruising speed of 54 km/h provided by a 300 XL engine. Its speed and armor protection matches that of an Atlas, but it has superior potential firepower with fifty and a half tons of free pod space for weapons and equipment. It is these traits which saw the 'Mech christened Daishi (pseudo-Japanese for "Great Death") by the criminal underbelly of the Draconis Combine, a name that would be proven grimly accurate time and time again.
The Dire Wolf was the brainchild of the Clan Wolf scientist caste, but was actually first produced by Clan Smoke Jaguar. Hearing rumors that Clan Wolf was developing the "Ultimate Assault OmniMech", the Jaguars won the plans and production rights in a trial that, rumor has it, was fought dishonorably. Production commenced on Huntress in 3010. In 3019, Clan Wolf began production of the OmniMech on Strana Mechty as well; Star Colonel Ulric won a trial of possession to expand manufacture into Clan Wolf. Beyond the limited manufacture of the Dire Wolf on Outreach, all Dire Wolves outside of Clans Smoke Jaguar and Wolf (or the Wolf's Dragoons) are either gifts, isorla, or were acquired through trade.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
In its primary configuration, the Dire Wolf carries an extensive long range payload that is backed up by good close combat weapons. The primary long range weapons are four ER Large Lasers which give the Dire Wolf an impressive long range punch. These are backed up by two Ultra Autocannon/5s for even more direct fire capability and an LRM-10 launcher giving the Dire Wolf some indirect fire capabilities. For close combat, the Dire Wolf has a simple yet effective array of four Medium Pulse Lasers.
- Alt Config A
- The A configuration of the Dire Wolf is configured to engage its enemies at a variety of ranges. The primary long range weapon carried in this configuration is a Gauss Rifle. This is backed up by three impressive Large Pulse Lasers which are effective at any range. For close combat, the A configuration carries two Streak SRM-6 launchers and for additional defense against incoming missiles it carries an Anti-Missile System. BV (1.0) = 2,689, BV (2.0) = 2,896
- Alt. Config. B
- The B configuration is armed for long range engagements with four Ultra Autocannon/2s which have a reach of 810 meters and are backed up by a pair of ER PPCs for even greater punch. An LB-X Autocannon/10 provides excellent medium to long range firepower and allows the Dire Wolf B to act in a variety of roles including vehicle hunting and anti-aircraft. For close combat, the B configuration has two Medium Pulse Lasers and an ER Small Laser. BV (1.0) = 2,127, BV (2.0) = 2,609
- Alt. Config. C
- The C configuration is configured to be highly mobile and flexible. The Dire Wolf C can jump up to ninety meters. The primary weapons carried are a pair of ER PPCs. These are supported by two new ATM 6 launchers which are capable of firing missiles that are intended for short, intermediate, and long ranges. The C configuration also carries four Medium Pulse Lasers and a single shot Streak SRM-4 launcher. The direct fire weapons are all linked to a Targeting Computer, increasing their lethality, and the C configuration is protected from enemy electronic warfare equipment with an ECM Suite. BV (1.0) = 3,290, BV (2.0) = 3,610
- Alt. Config. D
- This variant mounts two of the largest weapons in the Clan arsenal: the HAG 40. Ten tons of ammunition ensure that the 'Mech will not quickly run out. The uncharacteristically light backup weapons include a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, a Streak SRM-6, and a single ER Small Laser. BV (2.0) = 3,403
- Alt. Config. E
- Introduced during the Dark Age this configuration carries an LB 10-X autocannon in each arm. Each autocannon is supported by a quartet of Medium Pulse Lasers. Long range fire support is provided by a Streak LRM-10 launcher, and a Watchdog Combined Electronic Warfare System jams enemy sensors and finds hidden foes. Autocannon and LRM ammunition is stored in the side torsos, which are protected by CASE II. BV (2.0) = 2,814
- Alt. Config. H
- A simple direct fire configuration of the Dire Wolf, the H configuration carries a pair of Gauss Rifles as its primary long range weaponry. These are backed up by two Heavy Large Lasers for medium to short ranges. Finally, for short range combat, the H configuration has a Medium Pulse Laser and a Flamer. All of this configuration's weapons are linked to a Targeting Computer, increasing their accuracy. BV (1.0) = 2,517, BV (2.0) = 2,992
- Alt. Config. S
- The S configuration is intended for the close confines of urban and jungle warfare. The S configurations primary weapon is a massive LB-X Autocannon/20 which is capable of disabling most light and medium 'Mechs in a single blast. This is backed up by a single Large Pulse Laser to provide some long range firepower should the Dire Wolf S be caught in the open. Additional short range firepower is provided by five Medium Pulse Lasers and two Streak SRM-4 launchers. Two Anti-Personnel Pods and two Machine Guns provide exceptional anti infantry capabilities. The S configuration has added mobility with three jump jets allowing it to jump up to ninety meters. BV (1.0) = 2,875, BV (2.0) = 2,985
- Alt. Config. U
- The U configuration is configured for underwater combat. It makes use of the experimental BattleMech HarJel System, MASS, and a trio of UMUs allow it to travel underwater as quickly as it walks on land. The weapons load has been optimized for sub-surface combat as well: A trio of SRT-6 launchers appears in each side torso while each arm mounts an ER PPC and pair of Medium Pulse Lasers. The beam weapons are tied into a Targeting Computer. BV (2.0) = 3,360
- Alt. Config. W
- This Wolf's Dragoons variant is effective at both long and short range. For long range, it uses a Gauss Rifle, an ER Large Laser, and an LRM-20. At close range, an Ultra Autocannon/20, ER Small Laser, and a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers provide devastating firepower. Twenty double heat sinks allow the design to almost continually fire all of its weapons. BV (2.0) = 2,951
- Alt. Config. X
- This variant carries a Targeting Computer to guide the fire of a Large Pulse Laser, Heavy Medium Laser, twin ER Micro Lasers, an Ultra AC/10 and the solid shot of an LB 5-X autocannon. To provide missile support, the Daishi X carries an ATM 6 with a ton of each ammunition type, a head mounted Streak SRM-2, and an SRM-4 and LRM-15. The SRM-4 and LRM-15 are each equipped with an Artemis IV FCS. BV (2.0) = 2,645
Note: due to their inclusion in Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League) the Hohiro, Prometheus, and Widowmaker are considered tournament-legal.
- The Hohiro configuration of the Dire Wolf is used by Hohiro Kurita and has a mixed long and short range weapons profile. For long range hitting power, an ER PPC and a Gauss Rifle provide overwhelming punch. To engage enemies at long to medium ranges, three Large Pulse Lasers are carried. One ER Small Laser and one Streak SRM-6 round out this configuration with some short range punch. BV (1.0) = 2,676, BV (2.0) = 3,048
- The preferred configuration of Archon-Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion, the Prometheus configuration carries a blistering array of weapons that increases its damage potential as it closes range. The primary long range weapons are a pair of ER Large Lasers supported by three Large Pulse Lasers. For close combat, an Ultra Autocannon/20 and a SRM-6 launcher are carried. BV (1.0) = 2,319, BV (2.0) = 2,900
- The preferred configuration of the Black Widow Natasha Kerensky, the Widowmaker can do a great deal of damage at any range. For long range combat, an ER PPC backed up by a Large Pulse Laser mounted in each arm. For close combat, the Widowmaker carries three ER Medium Lasers, an ER Small Laser, and an Ultra Autocannon/20. This mix of weaponry served Natasha Kerensky well until her death at the hands of Jade Falcon Star Commander Joanna. The Widowmaker now rests on the floor of the Great Gash on Twycross, in silent memorial to its legendary pilot. BV (1.0) = 2,534, BV (2.0) = 3,041
- Widowmaker LRM
- The configuration of Dire Wolf piloted by Natasha Kerensky at her Trial of Position to test out as a MechWarrior on 21 July 3051. For long range combat, the ER PPCs are replaced by shoulder-mounted twin LRM-20 launchers with 24 racks, first half being Swarm LRMs and backed up by a Large Pulse Laser mounted in each arm. For close combat, the left torso carries three ER Medium Lasers in triangular configuration in the chest and the stubby LB-X Autocannon/20 with 10 cluster rounds under-slung on the right torso. For when things gets dicey, a "fire and forget" SRM-6 one-shot launcher above cockpit, just aft of the hatch and only 20 double strength heat sinks. This configuration was just for her Trial of Position and not used again. BV (2.0) = 2,928
- Lone Wolf
- The variant piloted by Phelan Wolf at his Trial of Position to test out as a MechWarrior on 21 July 3051. Configured by Khan Natasha Kerensky (who was piloting the LRM variant of her Widowmaker in the same Trial). For long range, the Lone Wolf variant was armed with shoulder mounted twin LRM-20 launchers with 24 racks, first half being Swarm LRMs, backed up by a Gauss Rifle in left arm, with 16 slug coming from bins in the left torso. For close combat, the Lone Wolf carries three Medium Pulse Lasers in right arm, a stubby LB-X Autocannon/20 with 10 cluster rounds under-slung on right torso. For when things get dicey, a "fire and forget" SRM-6 one-shot launcher above cockpit, just aft of the hatch and only 15 double strength heat sinks. This 'Mech was heavily damaged by the end of the trial and not used by Phelan again. BV (2.0) = 2,867
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
From MechWarrior Online:
- DWF-UV "Ultraviolet"
- A customized variant of the Dire Wolf. Piloted by Jin Mehta, the Ultraviolet uses a pair of Ultra Autocannon/2s in its left arm, supported with two tons of ammo. The left torso utilizes an ER PPC, supported by a Medium Pulse Laser. A center torso added an LRM 10 with a ton of ammo. The right torso carries an ER PPC with a Medium Pulse Laser. In the right arm, also carries a pair of Ultra Autocannon/2s. 
- Prince Victor Ian Steiner-Davion received a Daishi on planet Outreach. He named it Prometheus (after the Titan of Greek mythology that stole fire from the gods) and piloted the 'Mech most of his career.
- Hohiro Kurita received another Dire Wolf on Outreach. He named it "Hohiro" and piloted it until 3069.
- Khan Natasha Kerensky of Clan Wolf piloted a Daishi for the last part of her career. After her death on Twycross, her 'Mech was left in the Great Gash as a monument.
- Galaxy Commander Devon Osis of Clan Smoke Jaguar, commanding officer of Tau Galaxy, piloted a Dire Wolf until his death on Wayside V.
- Galaxy Commander Logan Moon, commanding officer of Sixth Jaguar Dragoons of Clan Smoke Jaguar, piloted a Dire Wolf in his duel against Khan Phelan Kell on planet Labrea.
In German products the unit's proper Clan name was perfectly translated to Höhlenwolf. The unit's proper Inner Sphere name was left unchanged.
Original Dire Wolf from TRO:3050
Dire Wolf Prime from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Daishi in combat from CityTech, Second Edition
Dire Wolf Prime in motion from CCG
Dire Wolf "Widowmaker" of Natasha Kerensky from CCG
Dire Wolf "Prometheus" of Victor Steiner-Davion from CCG
Model of Dire Wolf from MW4: Mercenaries
- Combat Operations, p. 108
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, pp. 144-145, "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 147
- Technical Readout: 3050, pp. 42-43, "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised, pp. 40-41, "Dire Wolf OmniMech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 110
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 148
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 149
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 157
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 150
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 151
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 194
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 238
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 152
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 241
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 153
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New, p. 150
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 154
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 155
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 239
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 156
- Record Sheets: 3060, p. 240
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 157
- Operation Audacity, p. 193
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 158
- Blood Legacy, pp. 186
- Blood Legacy, pp. 185-197
- MechWarrior Online - "Dire Wolf"
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 128
- Blood Legacy (novel)
- Combat Operations
- Operation Audacity (novel)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Clan & Star League)
- Record Sheets: 3060
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged - Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060