Free Worlds Guards
Long considered the premier units of the FWLM, the Free Worlds Guards jealously guarded that reputation following the creation of the Knights of the Inner Sphere. Created at the same time as the Free Worlds League, the Guards drew their forces from across the League.
|Free Worlds Guards|
|Unit Profile (as of 3059)|
|Parent Formation||Free Worlds League Military|
The Guards have their roots in the ten conventional regiments which were authorized during the first session of Parliament in 2272, with the modern First Free Worlds Guards armor regiment formed in 2426, a few years before the League fielded its first BattleMechs. A key federal brigade, nominally the Guards were answerable only to Parliament and the Captain-General, but since Succession Wars and the enactment of Resolution 288, the Guards have answered exclusively to the Captain-General, even going so far to swear personal oath of loyalty to each successive Captain-General since 2804. 
At their peak immediately prior to the First Succession War, the Guards had six regiments active, but the ceaseless centuries of fighting during the Succession Wars have reduced their number to three active commands. Unlike some FWLM brigades, in an effort to maintain a strong sense of tradition the Free Worlds Guards rebuilt their units rather than create new ones. While the first post-Succession War attempt in 3032 ended in disaster and disgrace when the newly rebuilt Fourth Guards were shattered by the Natasha Kerensky led Black Widow Company, during the reign of Thomas Marik the Fifth was successfully reformed in 3064, but plans for the Sixth to enter service in 3070 were derailed by the Word of Blake Jihad.   
After the dissolution of the Free Worlds League, regiments of the Free Worlds Guards joined several different nations. Most ended up with former Free Worlds states, but some joined the Word of Blake and The Republic of the Sphere.
After the League reformed in 3139 all the former Free Worlds Guards regiments in service to the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey and the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth. Parliament also allocated funds to rebuild former Guards units and transfer former provincial forces to new Guard units. In addition, a few of the new Guards regiments were raised from the survivors of other League commands that had to be disbanded.
Different per Unit.
The equipment and the quality of the soldiers are only a step down from the Knights of the Inner Sphere. The 1st and 2nd Guards are combat units with the best material available, because the 3rd is the training cadre for the other units of the brigade. 
Units of the Free Worlds GuardsEdit
- The First Guards joined the Army of Marik-Stewart Commonwealth.
- The Second Guards joined the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey.
- The Third Guards joined the Word of Blake, later the Regulan Hussars.
- The Fourt Guards was rebuilt and destroyed 3032. 
- The Fifth Guards was gifted to Republic of the Sphere.
- The Sixth Guards was destroyed during the Succession Wars.
- The Seventh Guards was disbanded in 2650.
- The Eighth Guards was disbanded in 2650, reactivated during the Dark Age era.
Colors and Unit InsigniaEdit
- Field Manual: Free Worlds League, p. 43, "Free Worlds Guards"
- More Tales of the Black Widow, p. 7
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 146 "Free Worlds Guards"
- Field Manual: 3085, pp. 81, 87, 89
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 102
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 81
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 89
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 87
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 167
- Field Report 2765: FWLM, p. 4, "Circumventing Directive 30"