Help:Italics(Redirected from Policy:Italics)
The following should generally appear italicized:
- Classic BattleTech
- Model names for BattleMechs, DropShips, ProtoMechs, JumpShips, WarShips, Space Stations and AeroSpace Fighters (ex: Atlas, Stuka, Scout, Union)
- But note that ’Mech and aerospace fighter variant/configuration designations, such as AS7-K and STU-K15, are not italicized.
- Vessel names, such as for DropShips, JumpShips, WarShips and blue water ships (ex: Oceans of the Stars, Liberator)
- all foreign language and ranks (with the exception of the Lyran Alliance/Commonwealth ranks) (ex: ja, Kommandant, Tai-sho, Sergeant Major)
- traditional Clan words (ex: surat, chalcas)
The following words should generally appear non-italicized:
- aerospace/conventional fighter
- ’Mech and aerospace fighter variant/configuration designations (ex: AS7-K, STU-K15)
- Vehicles and all infantry (ex: Indra, Swift Wind, Jump, Rifle)
- Battle armor (neither the word nor classes; ex: Elemental, Nighthawk)
Epigraphs (the location and date stamp seen in chapter headers) are italicized as well, as are quotations taken out of the body text and placed as a header. Names of publications (such as for books, stories, magazines, films, box sets, etc.) should also be italicized, though sections from within a publication should not be; instead, they are highlighted by quotations (ex: "Advanced Rules", "Active Probes"). The exception is a work of fiction, or short story, within a publication, which would be italicized.
Italics apply throughout an article, to include the opening, main body, infoboxes and references.