Robert Steiner (25th c.)(Redirected from Robert Steiner)
|Robert Aubrey Steiner|
|Parents||Tatyana Steiner (mother)|
In his prime during his period of military service in the LCAF, he was known for being a moody and lonely individual and for his disquieting gazes. He wore his hair long, had blue eyes, and was noted as being tall. Due to a muscular disorder he had thin weak legs this required him to wear leg braces in order to stand. Later in life he would gain a purpose due to his family's neglect. After the civil war and having a newly formed family eased his loneliness.
Early Life and The Dark YearsEdit
Only child of Duchess Tatyana Steiner younger sister to Archons Michael and Steven Steiner. Tatyana was a troubled woman who fell madly in love with a married man in 2469. A year later, she would give birth to her son, Robert. She loved her son however she had a severe case of Dobrowski Depression-A Syndrome the disorder caused her to take her own life just before the double wedding of Robert's uncles.
In 2471 a powerful earthquake devastated Tharkad City, the Triad, and severely damaged the Royal Palace. An infant Robert escaped death by chance of a set of support beams forming a protective pocket that allowed him to breathe for three days before he could be rescued.
A series of event stemming from the earthquake would shape Robert's future. The Draconis Combine would use the devastation of the Lyran's capital as an opportunity to invade the Commonwealth world of Nox. Robert's uncle Michael, grief stricken by the loss of his bride, renounced the Archonship and led the attack that repulsed the invasion; however, he was killed in the battle. Entrusted with the Archonship Robert's uncle Steven assumed the throne however he suffered from mental struggles of his own made worse by his delusional wife.
As Robert grew up, rational nobility and political leaders saw the leadership of the Commonwealth suffer. Members of the Estates General helped guide Robert's education and career as much as possible in an attempt to make him a worthwhile heir despite his status as an illegitimate. They petitioned of the Archon, they enabled Robert to join the LCAF. Due to his health, he became an Aerospace pilot and graduated from the LCAF flight academy.
While in service, he became an ace pilot combating the Free Worlds League forces across the border. His fellow pilots wanting to honor him, painted his Typhoon-A Heavy Aerospace Fighter in lurid colors stenciling name "Eagles cry at his approach" due his successes in destroying Marik Fighters and Combat Vehicles.
The Dukes of the Tamar Pact (Duke Samuel Natesh) and Federation of Skye (Duke Connor Gilderoy) took advantage of Archons Steven Steiner and Margaret Olsen mental states influencing them into revoking laws which prevented any noble from maintaining a personal army which outnumbered Commonwealth troops on any given world.
After Steven Steiner's death, Robert's aunt declared herself Archon and began her mad governance of the Commonwealth with these Dukes among her advisers. Robert was content with his life as a soldier and did not pursue the matter further. However months passed and the madness of Archon Olsen became a large enough issue that he could no longer ignore it when representatives came to Poulsbo, where he was stationed. With unconditional support for him claim the throne,
In 2503, Robert Steiner leads a task force of several loyal regiments of troops to Tharkad. Archon Olsen and the Dukes flee the planet at his approach, sparing the capital of damage. Robert was infuriated in a way he had never felt before in his life. Disgusted with seeing the the throne room covered with all assortment of mystics and courtiers who enabled his aunt's lunacy. This feeling would change him from a reluctance ruler to one eager to pursue anger at seeing his beloved nation brought to such a sorry state.
In May 22nd Robert would present himself to Estates General. He would be say;
|“||Ladies and gentlemen of the Estates General, patriots of the Lyran Commonwealth, I, Robert Aubrey Steiner, hereby declare my claim to the title and responsibility of the office of Archon, in the name of the Commonwealth and all her peoples...I may be a bastard son, but am I not more fit to rule than a madwoman who believes in ghosts and reads state policy in tea leaves? I intend to govern with reason and with the help of good men’s counsel, not because of the constellations, or by gazing into Arcturan memory crystals.||”|
The representatives would ultimately strip Margaret Olsen of the Archonship, however Robert would not fully inducted as the next Archon until Duchess Olsen and the Dukes Skye and Tamar and their rebel forces were defeated.
The ex-Archon Olsen's forces were concentrated on two worlds in the Commonwealth, Tamar and Skye. Archon Robert determined a quick end to the conflict could be achieved if he was able to capture his aunt. He mustered a significant number of loyal forces to his cause. However his loyalist force were not as large as they could be as a number of LCAF units opted to remain neutral in the conflict.
In pursuit of the rebel forces, he would arrive on Skye in late 2504. Rebels forces staged skirmishes along the path that Robert's expedition of loyalists took wearing them down as they arrived. Robert led his forces towards the capital, having to battle the house troops of the Duke of Skye, Samuel Natesh. Robert's forces would finally take Skye after two months of pitched battle, however Duke Natesh's delaying action allowed Duchess Olsen and Tamar Duke Gilderoy to escape.
Four months passed until Robert's expedition of loyalist troops finally arrived on Tamar. However by this time Robert's forces were exhausted from months of fighting and were soon repulsed by Duke Gilderoy's house troops after their arrival on world. The expedition was pushed into a rocky and barren peninsula on Tamar's Sahara continent.
This situation was frustrating to Robert Steiner, his now-outnumbered troops were in dire straits with the distinct possibility of being destroyed by his mad aunt's forces. Preparing for the final attack which he believed would occur at sundown, an unexpected arrival changed the entire dynamic of the situation. Between the two warring armies, a planetary cutter from the Terran Hegemony landed and announcing it was carrying a peace mediator to end the fighting between the factions. This unexpected arrival would prove to be a godsend, delaying Duke Gilderoy's armies from closing in and achieving victory.
The overnight negotiations would ultimately fail and force the Hegemony shuttle to leave the battlefield as Robert and the other leaders returned to their respective positions on the battlefield. However, as the Rebellious Dukes of Tamar and Skye led their men on the offensive. Robert noticed that there were new inbound units arriving on top of the rebel's positions. Taking a chance, Robert orders his combat unit forward from their defensive positions into the enemy. The rebels position collapsed and the loyalist found themselves leaving the inhospitable terrain behind. After six hours of fighting Loyalist forces after six hours of fighting, would make 30 kilometers inland see smoke and flames of battle between the Rebels forces and Robert's rescuers. The new arrivals' leader would march forward alone to meet with Robert at his Mobile Headquarters. Piloting a Griffin BattleMech, Duke Nels Reynolds of Fatima leading his own forces announced his pledge of aid to Steiner's cause as a means to pay back a debt his family owed to Robert Steiner.
The Archonship and Later LifeEdit
In the following year in 2506, Robert would be finally officially sworn in as Archon. In first course of action, he immediately chose to prosecute three ring leaders of the Civil War. Gilderoy and Natesh were arrainged on charges of treason against the state. They were convicted and executed, while their families were stripped of their nobility and exiled to the farthest corners of the Commonwealth. To reward people whom had been loyal to him, Robert designated that Kelwa and Lestrade families would be awarded the titles of Duke Tamar and Skye.
For his aunt on other hand was clinically insane, she was sentenced to exile to Gallery where she would spend rest of her life in fortress. Robert would choose not to prosecute those who were following orders. He felt in fact felt guilty of triggering the civil war, which left devastation on several worlds till the conflicted ended. As part effort to make amends for this and stimulate the Commonwealth's economy, he would fund recovery efforts out of his family's fortune. Another early action as Archon, to prevent Civil War such they experienced from happening again, he would order the nobility to place their house troops under the command of LCAF or they would be considered enemies of the state.
In 2511, Robert married his long time lover, Lucindra Andruson. Settling down and transitioning into a family changed him for the better. The couple had a single child. Robert appealed to the public the need to heal from Dark Years of instability and civil war. This image of family man and mender help shielded him from some political problems and enabled him to make subtle changes to the Commonwealth. He quietly, took back many of the political powers his late uncle lost during the Dark Years from the Estates General Assembly, while fostering good relations with him.
For the rest of his reign, he would move the LCAF slowly to a more defensive stance, while only having them embark on a single military campaign in which Commonwealth took Megrez away from the House Marik. Most interstellar disputes, he was content in have the Terran Hegemony flex their diplomatic muscles help aid the Commonwealth. Which saved many his soldiers from death and relieved a war weary populous from facing more war.
Aside from having a single son, Craig Steiner, who would become the next Archon, Robert was notable in that he was the one who had granted the Kelswa and Lestrade families control of their respective districts in the Commonwealth, which would last until the 31st Century. He is credited with restoring the position of Archon to rule over the nobility of House Steiner.
Titles and PositionsEdit
|Acting Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth
2503 - 2506
| Succeeded by|
|Archon of the Lyran Commonwealth
2506 - 2528
| Succeeded by|
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), "The The Lyran Commonwealth's Line of Succession and Partial Steiner Family Tree"
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 94, "Lyran Leadership Profile"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), PDF p.28 Eagles Cry - "First paragraph describes Robert Steiner while on Poulsbo as young man in LCAF air forces.
- House Steiner (Lyran Commonwealth), pp. 28-29 Eagle Crys/Prelude - Robert's personality changes as trusted into Archonship and then settles down to have a family.
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), PDF p.25-28 Order of Magnitude/Steve Steiner/Eagles Cry - "Early Years of Robert's life from infancy to his career in the LCAF as Aerospace pilot..
- Technical Readout: 3075, p. 284 TFN-2A Typhoon - "Robert Steiner noted as notable pilot, mentioning briefly his military service related to Typhoon and his military education not mentioned in other sourcebooks.
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), PDF pp.28-28 Eagles Cry - "Robert Steiner's early career and him convinced to pursue removal of his aunt from Tharkad. This goes into detail of throne room and changing of his attitude toward leading the Commonwealth.
- Handbook: House Steiner, pp 21-22 Civil War - Robert Steiner's early actions and his motivations that led him to move to take Tharkad from his Aunt with details not covered by older FASA House Steiner sourcebook.
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 22 Final Notice - "Extended speech to the Estate General by Robert Steiner.
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), PDF p.28 Eagles Cry - "Detailed accounts of Robert Steiner's early campaign to conquer the rebels, up to Olsen escape from Skye.
- Handbook: House Steiner", pp 22 Civil War - "Robert Steiner's actions on Skye campaign and duration of the campaign which were not covered in older FASA House Steiner sourcebook.
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), PDF pp.28-29 Repaying Old Debts - "Tamar military campaign which Robert is nearly defeated, but saved by Duke Reynolds paying back an old family debt.
- Handbook: House Steiner, pp 21-23 Civil War - Robert Steiner's actions on Tamar, with his rescue by Duke of Fatima.
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), PDF p.29 Repaying Old Debts/Prelude - "Aftermath of the Civil War and Robert Steiner's career as Archon until he pass leadership to his son.
- Handbook: House Steiner, pp 21-23 Civil War/Aftermath - Details of Robert Steiner's actions aftermath of the Civil War and his reign as Archon with some details added/not mentioned in the old texts.
- Handbook: House Steiner, p. 94 Archon Robert Steiner - Brief profile notes Robert Steiner's achievements in his reign.