The Salvage Arm is a non-combat actuator which is used for purposes of handing ammunition, repairs, and salvage. The arm itself has a highly dexterous, light manipulator which is not reinforced for physical attacks.
There are two types of Salvage Arms: 'Mech scale and suit scale.
'Mech scale Salvage ArmEdit
The Salvage Arm can lift cargo for short periods of time, but it is not designed for long-term lifting cargo like the Lift hoist or Hand Actuators.
It can be used to load ammunition into various vehicles, BattleMechs, and other equipment.
Suit-scale Salvage ArmEdit
This is a multi-tool device found on Industrial grade exoskeletons and battlefield recovery suits. The arm has a clamp-like hand/manipulator and cutting tools. This device is noted as being useless in combat situations, but excels in salvage and recovery.
'Mech scale salvage arms may only be used on BattleMechs and Industrial 'Mechs. Exoskeleton manipulator type size salvage arms can be used on all types of biped 'suits.
In Standard Game rules, it serves no purpose. However, it can be used in when conducting physical combat when need be. When used, it is treated as having no hand actuator, subjected to the penalties of a handless arm.
When using the optional rules found in the Tactical Operations book, the arm can be used to assist in loading ammunition while under combat conditions during a game
When equipping a 'Mech to have a salvage arm, the 'Mech's hand actuator is replaced by it.
Suit-sized salvage arms remain operational as long as the suit is not destroyed or the trooper is not killed.
- TechManual, p. 248, "Salvage Arm" - year of development listed.
- TechManual, p. 260, "Manipulators" - Salvage arms listed as manipulator size equipment was developed in twenty-fifth century.
- Tactical Operations, p. 213, "Rearming under fire": the arm is listed as something that can be used for re-arming equipment
- TechManual, p. 260: Salvage arms are for exosuits/power armor/battle armor and their capacities
- Tactical Operations, p. 213, "Rearming under fire": the salvage arm can be used to load ammunition while using advanced optional rules