|Manufacturer||Coventry Metal Works|
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Small Bug-B Endo Steel|
|Armor||Valiant Gauntlet Ferro-Fibrous|
|Engine||Vlar 300 XL|
|Communications System||Wilson Silicon Siren|
|Targeting Tracking System||Winston Coral Snake w/CherrySeed Bullseye TAG|
The Scarabus is a 'Mech that was designed to be faster than the Locust with more firepower. The 'Mech achieves this with a massive Vlar 300 XL engine which propels it to a maximum speed of 162 kph. To save weight for weapons, the 'Mech is built on a Small Bug-B Endo Steel chassis which weighs half as much as a standard chassis and the 'Mech is armored with five and a half tons of Valiant Gauntlet Ferro-Fibrous armor. The 'Mech is also equipped with a CherrySeed Guardian ECM Suite to protect itself from advanced electronic detection equipment when scouting against an enemy. The Scarabus has a CherrySeed Bullseye TAG to designate targets for Arrow IV artillery attacks.
Originally designed by the Solaris-based Vining Engineering and Salvage Team, the small company found it couldn't meet the AFFC's production goals. Coventry Metal Works purchased a license to produce it and the Scarabus has been part of Lyran Commonwealth and Federated Suns units ever since.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
The Scarabus is protected by a close range weapons arsenal. The primary weapons carried by the 'Mech are a pair of Defiance B3M Medium Lasers and a pair of Defiance B3S Small Lasers. To defend itself when the 'Mech gets into extremely close range combat, the 'Mech carries a two ton Hatchet which allows it to cleave into an enemy's armor.
- The 9T variant of the Scarabus is built using Triple Strength Myomer to enhance the 'Mech's speed and strength when the 'Mech is operating in the proper heat range. This enhances the 'Mech's top speed giving it a maximum speed of 183.6 kph and also increases the sheer amount of damage that the Scarabus is capable of doing with its Hatchet. Otherwise, the 'Mech has not had any significant changes made. BV (1.0) = 749, BV (2.0) = 953
In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Skarabäus. The model code was accordingly changed to SKB-9A.
- MUL online date for the Scarabus
- Combat Operations, p. 132
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 26
- Technical Readout: 3055, p. 24, "Scarabus 'Mech Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3055 Upgrades Unabridged, p. 27