- This article is about the Clan Battlemech. For the military unit, see Supernova (Formation).
|Manufacturer||Irece Alpha, Barcella Alpha, Brim Ironworks Irian BattleMechs Unlimited|
|Mech type||Clan BattleMech|
|Chassis||NCIS Standard Type A|
|Armor||Omega Heavy Stellarguard|
|Engine||Consolidated 270 Fusion Standard|
|Communications System||NC-TelCom Mk X|
|Targeting Tracking System||Big Cat Mk XXI TTS|
|Heat Sinks||26 Double heat sinks|
|Jump Jets||Northrup Super Heavy Starlifters A100s|
A second-line Clan 'Mech feared by many Inner Sphere pilots, the Supernova seems to be an advanced version of the Black Hawk, though it was actually developed before that venerable OmniMech. Plans to replace the King Crab's loadout with clusters of Large Lasers grew from a shortage of autocannon ammunition. The first prototypes met with little success due to the King Crab's integral Ferro Fibrous armor, but gave rise to a lighter and leaner new design.
It possessed average mobility for an assault 'Mech of its size, with a top speed of 54/kph provided by a standard fusion engine. Mobility is further increased with Jump Jets, making it capable of 90 meter leaps. It is built on a Standard chassis, with 14.5 tons of Standard Armor providing protection. Just like the Black Hawk's Prime variant, it is made to survive long battles without depending on supply lines.  
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
The Supernova's only armaments are six Clan ER Large Lasers. While this is a fair amount of firepower for a 'Mech of its size, it has a severe overheating problem. After firing no more than three full, consecutive salvos, the Supernova will force an automatic shutdown, so MechWarriors must carefully manage their heat.
- Supernova 2
- Created by Clan Nova Cat after their Abjuration, this variant, and the others they fashioned, uses Endo Steel and increased armor protection. The first variant replaces four of the ER Large Lasers and many of their attendant heat sinks with four ATM 9s, six tons of ammunition, and adds an advanced Targeting Computer to guide the remaining pair of lasers. BV (1.0) = 2,359, BV (2.0) = 2,741
- Supernova 5
- Produced by Clan Sea Fox on Angell II, this Supernova variant uses an Endo Steel skeleton and reduces the number of double heat sinks to add four Coolant Pods. The 'Mech is protected by seventeen tons of armor, carries three ER Large Lasers in each arm, and can jump 90 meters thanks to three standard jump jets. BV (2.0) = 3,075
These variants were introduced in MechWarrior Online, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
- Apparently based on the Supernova-2, the Supernova-A retains only a single ER Large Laser in each arm, mounting an Artemis IV FCS-equipped LRM-20 and Streak SRM-6 launcher in each torso. With a targeting computer linked to the large lasers, three tons of LRM missiles and four tons of Streak reloads give the A variant good endurance. Keeping the classic jump jets and boosting armor over primary variant, an Endo Steel frame and fitting only seventeen double heat sinks are used to free up the extra weight required for the missile launchers.
- Eschewing striking at a distance for short-ranged stopping power, the B variant mounts twin Large Pulse Lasers in each arm, supported by an ER Medium Laser in each arm, head and center torso. Built on the same body as the 2, the Supernova-B's laser array is linked to a sizable targeting computer and eighteen double heat sinks.
- Somewhat of an anomaly, unlike its brothers the Supernova-C mounts its primary weapons in its torsos and secondary weapons in its arms; twin Large Pulse Lasers in each side torso supported by a ER Medium and Medium Pulse Laser in each arm. Built on the framework of the Supernova-2, the C mounts twenty-two double heat sinks.
- While feared by the Inner Sphere, the Supernova design was born out of necessity in an attempt to address ammunition shortages by changing the original King Crab design to an all-energy loadout. The Boiler is a customized Supernova variant that seeks to re-engineer the Supernova back to the original King Crab loadout using Clan technology, essentially making the Boiler a “King Crab IIC”. It mounts an Ultra AC/20 in each arm supported by a Large Pulse Laser in the right torso and an LRM-15 rack in the left. As it was built upon the frame of the standard Supernova, it retains the jump jets but mounts only seventeen double heat sinks. Like its progenitor, the Boiler lacks field endurance, carrying only two tons of Ultra Autocannon rounds and one ton of LRM reloads.
- Nova - The Nova appears to be inspired by the Supernova.
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, pp. 190-190, "Supernova"
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13, p. 13
- MUL online date for the Supernova
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 334
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 195
- Invading Clans Sourcebook, p. 128
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 335
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 196
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 336
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 197
- Record Sheets: 3058 Upgrades, p. 337
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Clan & Star League), p. 198
- Recognition Guide: ilClan, vol. 13, p. 27
- MechWarrior Online - Supernova Sale Page