A trueborn is a Clan warrior born from the mixing of two genetic legacies as part of the Clans' eugenics program. Artificially conceived within an Iron Womb, trueborns are bred and trained from birth to be the ultimate warriors and taught to believe only they are true inheritors of Aleksandr Kerensky's legacy. After being raised in a Crèche and trained as part of a Sibko, trueborns must prove themselves in a Trial of Position to become full-fledged warriors or be cast out and forced into one of the civilian castes. For this reason trueborns are considered inherently superior to freeborns, or those who have been conceived naturally, and in general look down on them with contempt. Ironically, it is the rare inclusion of freeborn warrior genes in the eugenics program which prevents stagnation in the warrior caste. Trueborn warriors are marked by the Codex they wear, typically a bracelet, which contains their complete records from physical characteristics to battle honors.
Three principal phenotypes exist for trueborn warriors, the result of selective breeding and minor alterations over the course of generations. Elementals, bred for the rigors of Battle Armor combat, are disproportionately large and muscular. Measuring between 2 to 2.5 meters in height their strength and endurance are incredibly useful in the role of shock troops. On the opposite spectrum are Aerospace pilots, averaging 1.7 meters and 50 kilograms. With noticeably enlarged craniums and eyes for superior reaction times and perceptive abilities, they are better suited to withstanding the strains of intense G-forces, though they are also more frail and easily injured. Those of the MechWarrior phenotype, while the most "normal" looking, have superior reflexes and are better able to interface with Neurohelmets than normal humans.
List Types of TruebornEdit
- Elemental - Large muscular, intended for infantry
- Pilot - Small, large head, humans intended for Aerospace Fighters & later ProtoMechs
- MechWarrior - Normal human, physically fit, with good reflexes, most common trueborn.
- Tankwarrior - Variant of MechWarrior phenotype, developed work in teams in Tank Crews. Created by Clan Hell's Horses
- Elstars - Variant of MechWarrior Phenotype, intended more enhanced warrior developed by Clan Jade Falcon
- Classic BattleTech RPG, p. 31
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 8
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 9
- The Clans: Warriors of Kerensky, p. 34
- Classic BattleTech RPG, p. 81
- Classic BattleTech RPG, p. 82
- Classic BattleTech RPG, p. 84
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 160
- Field Manual: Warden Clans, p. 168
- Era Report: 3145, pp 125-126, "The TankWarrior Experiment"
- Era Report: 3145, p 126, "Rise of the Elstars"