I am not sure what came first for me, MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Video Game or the BattleTech: The Animated Series, at this point I had no idea how important this universe I had just stumbled across would become. MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries came next and then a gap for a couple of years and then I found Technical Readout: 3050 Revised in my local comic shop (circa '98). At this point I realized that this universe was a tabletop game for the first time!
In the greatest of ironys I found sourcing BattleTech books in the UK a slow and expensive process using my local (not very friendly) comic shop that was unknown to me situated 5 minutes walk from Ral Parthas european headquarters. MechCommander 2 and MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries kept the torch burning until MechWarrior: Dark Age came out in 2003 and for the first time ever getting physical product became easy.
I have been knocking around Sarna since Feb 2007 and finally after initially struggling to make sense of the universe I was happy to find a place that has everything.
In the time since I was promoted to Admin in November 2019 having contributed about 30,000 edits to the wiki, backed the 2018 Video Game and the BattleTech: Clan Invasion and still have hopes of playing an actual game of BattleTech one day.
After accusing Catalyst Game Labs of mismanaging the IP in the wake of the collapse of BattleCorps in 2016 and release of the extremely shoddy Technical Readout: Succession Wars in 2017, I am incredibly happy to see that in 2019 CGL have not only reversed direction but seem to be pushing BT back towards greatness.
Let the good times roll.
What I am currently working onEdit
For 2019 I intend to be a bit more focused on clearing my unfinished projects as some of them I have been slowly chipping away at for a number of years.
Minor project intent on fleshing out some specifics of the 3rd SSW.
- Phase 1 - Deconstruct this article Wolf's Dragoons battles.
- Phase 2 - Extract conflicts from TRO3025.
- Phase 3 - Extract conflicts from TRO3026.
Major Project to update the Command article format.
- Phase 1 - Update all Officer sections to CO table.
- In progress
- Phase 2 - Propose unified command infobox.
- Complete -(26/1/19)
- Phase 3 - Develop unified Command infobox.
Major Project house is an ongoing project to catalog the noble houses of the Inner Sphere as best I can. BattleTech is space feudalism but we do not actually see a lot of it going on beyond the five main houses. I am interested in the various Dukes, Counts and Barons.
- Phase 1 - Upgrade all character articles to include Infobox.
- In progress
- Phase 2 - Create article for each noble house/notable family.
- In progress
- Phase 3 - Create article for each noble title/notable position.
- In progress
- Phase 3a - Link known titles into planet articles.
- Phase 3b - Attempt to link unspecified Counties and Baronies with locations.
- Phase 3c - Attempt to link title holders across families and states.
- In progress
Project Video GamesEdit
- Phase 1 - Add in the characters from the HBS game and the linked Novellas.
- Phase 1a - Add in all characters from Flashpoint.
- Phase 1b - Add in all characters from Urban warefare.
- Phase 1c - Add in all characters from Heavy Metal.
- Phase 2 - Add in the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries/Characters from the PGI game and the linked Novellas.
Minor Project to tidy up the weapons and equipment pages and detail the various brands/models better.
- Phase 1 - Reformat weapons.
- Advanced Point Defense System - Complete (26/9/19)
- Anti-Missile System - Complete (7/6/19)
- Autocannon/2 - Complete (3/6/19)
- Autocannon/5 - Complete (26/9/19)
- Autocannon/10 - Complete (5/9/19)
- Hypervelocity Autocannon/10 - Complete (27/9/19)
- LB-X Autocannon/10
- Ultra Autocannon/10 - Complete (27/9/19)
- Autocannon/20 - Complete (27/9/19)
- Machine Gun - Complete (26/9/19)
- Light Machine Gun - Complete (19/10/19)
- Heavy Machine Gun - Complete (26/9/19)
- Gauss Rifle
- Long Tom Cannon - Complete (20/10/19)
- Snub-Nose PPC
- Small Laser
- Medium Laser
- Extended Range Medium Laser
- Large Pulse Laser
- Heavy Large Laser - Complete (05/12/19)
- Large Variable Speed Pulse Laser - Complete (20/10/19)
- C8 Blasting Block
- Phase 2 - Weapon brand tagging.
- On going
- Phase 1 - Develop engine article type.
- Clean up and unify Template tags
- Create "Announced Product" tag. Complete - (25/07/19)
- Clean up List of BattleTech products
- Merge PDF product list into the main products list. Complete - (25/05/19)
- Make main products list sortable. Complete - (18/06/19)
- Clear Amaterasu (members). Complete - (29/08/19)
- Clear Clan Smoke Jaguar Minor Characters
- Clear Category:Dark Age Characters. Complete - (13/08/19)
- Clear Category:Dark Age Mechs. Complete - (18/06/19)
- Clear Category:Dark Age Vehicles.
- Clear Category:MechWarrior 4 BattleMechs. Complete - (05/07/19)
- Clear List of minor mercenary units
- Convert Article Count History to a table. Complete - (05/07/19)
- Create basic article for Sendai Massacre (ELH)
- Datamine Proliferation Cycle.
- Prometheus Unbound
- Nothing Ventured
- Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight
- A Dish Served Cold
- The Spider Dances
- Datamine Founding of the Clans
- Datamine A New Game. Complete - (20/07/19)
- Datamine The Field Is Lost. Complete - (27/07/19)
- Datamine Iron Dawn.- Partial Complete - (21/08/19)
- Datamine Pandora's Gambit - Partial Complete - (08/09/19)
- Datamine To Ride the Chimera - Partial Complete - (11/09/19)
- Datamine A Bonfire of Worlds - Partial Complete - (11/09/19)
- Datamine Eclipse - Partial Complete - (26/09/19)
- Datamine Natural Selection - Partial Complete - (16/10/19)
- Datamine The Hunters - Partial Complete - (29/10/19)
- Datamine Sword and Fire - Partial Complete - (06/11/19)
- Datamine Shadows of War - Partial Complete - (12/11/19)
- Datamine Prince of Havoc - Partial Complete - (18/11/19)
- Datamine Storms of Fate - Partial Complete - (26/11/19)
- Datamine Endgame - Partial Complete - (01/12/19)
- Datamine Betrayal of Ideals - Partial Complete - (02/12/19)
- Delete Amaterasu (members). Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Clan Smoke Jaguar Minor Characters. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete ComStar Minor Characters. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Category:Dark Age Characters. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Category:Dark Age Mechs. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Factory worlds. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Free Worlds League Minor Characters. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Major Factory Worlds. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Category:MechWarrior 4 BattleMechs. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Category:Minor Noble Houses. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete SLDF Minor Characters. Complete - (30/09/19)
- Delete Star League Defense Force Minor Fleet Characters. Complete - (26/07/19)
- Delete House Marik Minor Characters. Complete - (06/11/19)
- Delete Magistracy of Canopus/Minor Characters. Complete - (06/11/19)
- Eliminate misspelt "Alyra" name for MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf character Alera. Complete - (19/07/19)
- Eliminate mispelt "Severn" for world Sevren (careful of moon and noble house). Complete - (11/11/19)
- Eliminate misspelt "Stilleto" Complete - (02/11/19)
- Find something to do with Regional Structure LCAF and LCAF Military Assets, Military Ranks
- Reduce Special:WantedPages, 24/11/19 there are 214 with 10 or more redlinks.
- Update HBS BattleTech planet list to reflect v1.6. - Complete (15/09/2019)