|Vandelay's Valkyries: Rebuilding...|
|Unit Profile (as of 3067)|
|CO||Colonel Charles Houver|
Third Succession WarEdit
Fourth Succession WarEdit
Karbala was one of the worlds attacked in the opening wave of Operation GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG, the major Lyran Commonwealth offensive of the Fourth Succession War. The Valkyries were the garrison on Karbala under DCMS contract when the Commonwealth invaded; leading the Lyran invasion were the Tenth Lyran Guards, commanded by Colonel Frederick Steiner. A critic of the military innovations brought in as a result of the Commonwealth alliance with the Federated Suns, Frederick largely ignored his supporting conventional regiments, leaving them behind while he led the Tenth into battle against the Valkyries. A skilled commander, Frederick prevailed against the Valkyries, but the Tenth took more damage in the battle for Karbala than other units took while seeing twice as much combat, and if he had been less skilled the Tenth might well have taken much heavier damage. As it was, the Valkyries were able to take the bodies of their fallen with them when they left Karbala.
Later in the Fourth Succession War the Valkyries served on Memmingen alongside the 1st Sun Zhang Academy Cadre. They faced the Fifteenth Lyran Regulars, and the Valkyries used their entrenched positions to hold on long enough for Combine reinforcements to arrive. These fresh troops forced the Fifteenthth Lyran Regulars off-world.
In 3050 the unit was stationed on the Federated Commonwealth world of Okefenokee. In the mid-3050's they accepted a contract with the Taurian Concordat. The long service for the Taurian Concordat was a good time for the unit.
Capellan-St. Ives WarEdit
Following the death of Jeffrey Calderon in 3061, the command was sent immediately to the St. Ives Compact to fight the AFFC troops stationed there. Intercepting fighters destroyed the command DropShip. This event demoralized the unit and they were unable for combat. Only 2 battalions could land, but the defense cost them a battalion's worth of equipment. The command retreated under pressure, but the commander of the TDF thought because their losses they had could fought harder and terminated the contract.
The unit was commanded by Colonel Faith Vandelay until both her eldest daughter and she were killed during a mission against the St. Ives Compact planet Texlos during the Capellan-St. Ives War. At that time, Colonel Charles Houver took over as interim commander, until Sarah Vandelay, Faith's second daughter, was deemed ready to assume the responsibility. As of 3085, that transfer had not taken place.
Their new employer was the government of Southwest Worlds, which give them work until 3069. The command was now employed by the FWLM and were task with the defense of the borders against any Periphery/Lyran aggressor, stationing them on Maxwell.
|Commanding Officers of Vandelay's Valkyries|
|Colonel||Charles Houver||3063 - 3085|
The unit hasn't any special tactics after the heavy losses.
Vandelay's Valkyries (Regular/Questionable)
Vandelay's Valkyries (Regiment/Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Charles Houver
- The unit includes military police, combat engineer support and logistical staff.
- XO/1st Battalion (Faith’s Own): Lieutenant Colonel Sarah Vandelay
- 2 medium companies with an assault and an independent lance
- 2nd Battalion (The Baggage): Major Lyta Hartford
- Is a mixed unit one heavy command lance with medium 'Mechs, one tank company and attack VTOL support by jump infantry at the company level
Vandelay's Valkyries (2 battalions/Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Charles Houver
Vandelay's Valkyries (Veteran/Questionable)
- CO: Colonel Dorine Echols
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 135 "MECH UNIT DEPLOYMENT TABLE (as of 3025) Continued"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 50, "Other Early Action"
- Field Manual: Lyran Alliance, p. 94
- 20 Year Update, p. 23
- Field Manual: Mercenaries Revised, p. 105 "Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 160, "Mercenary Forces Deployment Table - 3085"
- Mercenaries Supplemental Update, p. 114, "Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 182, "Notable Mercenary Forces - Free Worlds League"
- 20-Year Update, p. 19