|Von Luckner Heavy Tank|
|Mission||Close Range/Urban Combat|
|Engine||VOX 225 Fusion|
|Communications System||O/P 300|
|Targeting Tracking System||O/P GRNDSTAT 50A|
Designed for the original Star League after the Reunification War as a BattleMech without legs, the Von Luckner is fully capable of blasting light 'Mechs to pieces. Named after Count Felix von Luckner of twentieth century Terra, the Von Luckner is one of the few tanks to use a fusion engine, as most vehicle-mounted reactors were stripped out for use in 'Mechs during the Succession Wars. Few of these vehicles remain in service, but they are very lethal, weighing more than most 'Mechs as well as boasting 11 tons of armor and overwhelming firepower.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
The Von Luckner mounts an impressive array of weaponry. Its main gun is a turret-mounted Armstrong Autocannon 20, which can strip off more than a ton of armor in one salvo. A Holly LRM 10 provides long range and indirect fire, while two Holly SRM 6s and a Dannel SRM 4 add to its close range punch. A Ramsey Machine Gun and Firestorm Flamer provide anti-infantry capabilities. Carrying all of these weapons means that the vehicle is heavily ammo-dependent, which gives it very little to fall back on in the event of a protracted battle. As well, the reloading system is susceptible to jamming, and missile reloads stored in the tank's hull are vulnerable to fires or critical hits.
- House Davion had a number of Von Luckner variants, one of which removed some of the missile systems but added an improved targeting and tracking system to the Autocannon.
- Star League
- In addition to the standard Von Luckner, the SLDF Royal Divisions also used a version from 2761 that was equipped with a pair of LB 10-X Autocannons, four Streak SRM-2 missile launchers, a Small Pulse Laser, and added an Artemis IV FCS to the LRM 10. To make room for all this equipment, an XL Fusion Engine replaced the standard fusion engine. BV (2.0) = 1,261
- VNL-X71 Yakuza
- This Von Luckner variant is frequently seen in the hands of the Yakuza of The Republic of the Sphere in Prefectures I through III. The turret carries a single LB 20-X autocannon, Medium Pulse Laser, and SRM-4 with Artemis IV FCS. The tank uses an XL Fusion engine to maintain a top speed of 54km/h. The tank is protected by both CASE and thirty tons of Hardened Armor, making it difficult to destroy. In fact on Altais two of these tanks destroyed a militia 'Mech lance that was searching for yakuza warehouses. Republic intelligence thinks that the Combine's Ghost Regiments are helping refit these tanks, but no evidence has come to light. BV (2.0) = 1,847
- MUL online date for the Von Luckner
- Record Sheets: Operation Klondike, p. 17
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 137
- Combat Operations, p. 121
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 168
- Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged, p. 138
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 11
- Experimental Technical Readout: Most Wanted, p. 24