Heavy Wheeled APC
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- "Mech Merc Company" - A Love Letter To MechWarrior 2, Now On Steam Early Access
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For April 2020
- What ‘Mech Would You Survive The Coronavirus Outbreak In?
- Read more →
|Heavy Wheeled APC|
|Production Year||Early Spaceflight Era|
|Armor||Generic Standard Armor|
|Engine||Generic 100 Internal Combustion Engine|
|Targeting Tracking System||Various|
2x Machine Guns
Armies have used armored personnel carriers (APCs) for centuries to transport troops to the front lines, which continues even in the era of battle armor. The Heavy Wheeled APC is a larger version of its standard counterpart, able to carry two full platoons of Foot Infantry or one platoon of either Motorized or Jump Infantry.
With both versions boasting the same top speed, the Heavy version is less common due to reasons of cost, but while the more common 10-ton Wheeled APC is cheaper, it can carry only a single squad of infantry. In order for an entire platoon to be deployed at a target location, a single platoon must be spread across a lance of four APCs, forcing the APCs to stay in tight formation for the insertion. The heavy model is twice as large as standard APCs and is designed to carry two full platoons of foot troopers along with their gear. This improved capacity, in addition to two tons more of armor protection, makes heavy APCs the preference of commanders who can obtain them with the majority used by the Federated Commonwealth's Regimental Combat Teams.
Weapons and Equipment
No more a fighting vehicle than its "standard" counterpart, the Heavy Wheeled APC carries two front-mounted Machine Guns supplied by half a ton of ammunition, carried only for defense against other infantry units. The lack of a turret makes the APC particularly vulnerable to flanking attacks from the rear, but most can successfully unload their troops before an enemy is in position to launch such an attack.
- This is an anti-infantry version of the APC, which was introduced during the Star League era. The infantry bay is reduced to a 3 ton capacity, while 4 more Machine Guns are added to the vehicle. A single Machine Gun is added to the right and left sides, while the rear is given 2. The vehicle's ammunition capacity is brought up to 300 rounds. BV (2.0) = 213
- The Word of Blake during the Jihad refitted the original Heavy Wheeled APC for their infantry forces. The design was a modest upgrade which included some Advanced Tech enhancements to its offensive capabilities. First the vehicle's ICE engine was replaced with an XL Fusion Engine, this increased the vehicle's speed to 110 K/ph. While retaining its 6 ton Infantry Bay capacity, the vehicle's front-mounted machine guns were replaced with pair of Small VSP Lasers. The XL Engine allowed for additional armor to be added to the front and sides. BV (2.0) = 330
- MUL online date for the Heavy Wheeled APC
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 23
- Technical Readout: 3060, pp. 12-13, "Vehicle Profile"
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 24 - New PDF Record Sheet only variant with proper BV 2.0 value given.
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 26
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 25
- Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged, p. 27 - WoB has its own variant of the Wheeled type Heavy APC.