3rd Falcon Talon (Clan Jade Falcon)
The Third Falcon Talon was a Clan Jade Falcon military formation which long served the Clan since Invasion of the Inner Sphere.
|3rd Falcon Talon Cluster|
|Unit Profile (as of 3059)|
|Nickname||"The Jade Claymores"|
|Parent Formation||Gamma Galaxy|
During the Trials leading up to Operation Revival, the Third Falcon Talon represented the Jade Falcons. They faced Clan Steel Viper, Clan Blood Spirit, Clan Nova Cat, and Clan Smoke Jaguar, and defeated all of them.
Hamstrung by the cautious bidding of its then CO Gran Newclay, the 3rd Falcon Talons split itself up into element units help assist taking objectives of the First Wave. Some these elements accompanied the Turkina Keshik in conquest of Here and 9th Falcon Talon Cluster on Barcelona. On world of Here, the 3rd Falcons help defeat the 8th Arcturan Guards RCT and its militia support brutal city fighting the forced the FedCom unit flee the planet.  
While on Barcelona, the 3rd Falcons along with 9th Falcons fought a tough battle against the Lyran state's 17th Skye Rangers which they stalled their progress. This forced the invasion commander to call down the Falcon Guards to secure victory and force the Federated Commonwealth to give up the world.  
With the glory seeking Gran Newclay emboldened by rumours that Prince Victor Steiner-Davion was among the survivors of the 12th Donegal Guards on Derf, the 3rd Falcon Talons undertook their only single solo planetary conquest during the Invasion in May 3050. Unfortunately the rumours would prove to be false, with the Third Talon losing face even as they quickly overwhelmed the small and disheartened survivors of 12th's Combat Vehicle and BattleMech elements to secure the planet within a day. The Third regained some of this lost honor after Clan Steel Viper was assigned to share the Falcons' invasion corridor, when the Third Talon successfully defeated the Vipers' Trial of Possession for La Grave.
Among those forces selected for the Battle of Tukayyid, the Third's conservative commander butted heads with the unorthodox Aidan Pryde in pre-battle councils. The Third would see combat at Robyn's Crossing until the Falcons were forced to withdraw. Despite their antagonism, Pryde's Falcon Guards provided cover to allow the unit to retreat, earning the grudging respect from Gran Newclay and the survivors of the Third Talon.
First Jade Falcon Incursion and Battle of CoventryEdit
In 3058, the 3rd Falcon Talons and rest of the Gamma Galaxy were assigned to invasion of the Lyran Alliance. The Third Talon was the most experienced unit that would land on the world. The unit's notable action of the invasion was on Coventry, in April where the Third attempted to intercept Waco Rangers on landing, but however they were unable to prevent them making it into Leitnerton. Two trinaries attempted to block Ranger's push for Leitnerton. They also hit Bucklands, destroying a militia unit in that system.
Second Jade Falcon IncursionEdit
During Marthe Pryde's second incursion in the Lyran Alliance, 3rd Talons were garrisoning Black Earth in the Occupation Zone in 3064. The planet was attacked in October by Lyran forces led by General Adam Steiner. The 3rd Talon's commander waged a three week conflict, during which he employed his Aerospace Fighter assets to harass the enemy. The Star Colonel, had secretly setup airfields on glaciers where able bogged down Lyran forces. However, at the end the Lyrans discovered 3rd Talon's airfields were force into battle with overwhelming forces. The unit was moderately damaged and forced to withdraw to Golandrinas.
During the early stages of the Word of Blake Jihad, Gamma Galaxy Commander Amelia Icaza assigned an Elemental Trinary from the Third Talon to actively participate in Project Ferrum, the Falcon Scientist Caste's efforts to develop what eventually became the Ironhold Assault battle armor. After the elements of the Third tested the suit in the Periphery to great effect, mass production of the Ironhold was initiated upon their return to the Inner Sphere.
While quickly spreading to all Clan Jade Falcon Galaxies, based on the glowing reports of the Trinary who tested it, the Third Talon opted to equip all its Elementals with the suit. The increased fire-power and effectiveness of the Ironhold resulted in the increasing predominance of the relatively obscure Bang-Chu Elemental Bloodname among the ranks of the Third Talon. 
In 3099 the Third raided Grauss, which was defended by the 2nd Donegal Guards. The Falcons bid away all their air support, and the Second Donegal's aerospace fighters inflicted massive damage on the Falcons. The Falcons were driven off, suffering heavy losses.
|Commanding Officers of the 3rd Falcon Talon Cluster|
|Star Colonel||Cassandra Malthus|||
|Galaxy Commander||Mar Helmer|||
|Star Colonel||Gran Newclay||3050|
|Star Colonel||Cewen Newclay||3058|
|Star Colonel||Jonah Hazen||3085|
The 3rd Falcon Talons are trained to fight extensively in foul weather conditions.
- 3rd Falcon Talons
- Command Star (Star 'Mechs)
- Trinary Alpha ('Mech Trinary) - CO: Star Captain Theodore Buhallin
- Trinary Beta ('Mech Trinary) - CO: Star Captain Sandra Pryde
- Trinary Charlie (1 Nova ('Mechs & Elements) 2 Elements Stars) - CO: Star Captain Gregor Mattlov
- Trinary Delta ('Mech Trinary w/points of Elements) - CO: Star Captain Judy Helmer
- Trinary Echo (Aerospace Fighter Trinary) - CO: Star Captain Ota Folkner
- 3rd Falcon Talons - (5 Trinaries) - Star Colonel Cewen Newclay
- 3rd Falcon Talons - (5 Trinaries) - Star Colonel Ceren Newclay
The unit was known as the 3rd Falcon Talons during the invasion of the Inner Sphere in 3050, and again in 3059. In field manual update, the unit name was altered to simply 3rd Talon. Late publications the name has been switch back and forth.
- Operational Turning Points: REVIVAL Trials, p. 20
- Operational Turning Points: REVIVAL Trials, p. 15
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook p. 36 - First Wave - 3rd Falcon Talon's Here & Barecelona actions in First wave of the war.
- Era Report: 3052, p. 49
- Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion, p. 12
- Battle of Coventry p. 33 - Third Falcon Talons attempt to intercept the Waco Rangers, but fail.
- Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion, p. 20
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook) pp. 117-118, 186 - Jade Falcon Incursion - Black Earth & Jade Falcon Incursion Table - 3rd Talons (misnamed) fight prolong fight to hold off Lyran forces from taking the planet. Unit shown to be moved to Golandrinas after the conflict.
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 130 "Ironhold Assault Battle Armor"
- Field Report: Clans, p. 14
- Field Report: Clans, p. 15
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 125
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth, p. 48
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans, p. 48
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook p. 61 - Gran Newclay's biographical capsule.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook p. 47 - Unit listing includes commanding officer of the 3rd Talon during the invasion.
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook p. 47 - 3rd Jade Talon Cluster unit listings.
- Field Manual: Updates p. 72 - ToE of Falcons in 3067. Unit commander changed.
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans p. 100 - Unit name still 3rd Falcon Talons.
- Field Manual: Updates p. 72 - Unit was listed as only 3rd Talon.
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans p. 177 - Gamma Galaxy/3rd Falcon Talon - Unit training lets it reduced penalties for weather and night conditions.
- Era Report: 3052
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook)
- Field Manual: Crusader Clans
- Field Manual: Updates
- Jade Falcon Sourcebook
- Operation Audacity (Novel)
- The Battle of Coventry (scenario pack)
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Field Report: Clans
- Field Manual: 3085
- Operational Turning Points: Falcon Incursion
- Technical Readout: 3145 The Clans
- Technical Readout: 3145 Lyran Commonwealth
- Operational Turning Points: REVIVAL Trials