Advanced Point Defense System
|Advance Point Defense System|
|Type||Equipment (Point-Blank Weapon)|
|Tech Base||Advanced IS|
|Year Availability|| IS = 3137 (Standard) |
|Year Introduced||IS = 3134|
|Year Extinction||IS =|
|Year Reintroduced||IS =|
|Damage||Special Weapon Rules (Consult Interstellar Operations pp. 91-92)|
|Short Range|| Firing Range |
|Tons||3 / .35|
|Critical Slots|| 2 (Standard) |
|Ammo Per Ton|| Clan =
IS = 12 / 6
|Cost (unloaded)||200,00 / 50,000|
|BV (1.0)|| Clan =
|Ammo BV (1.0)|| Clan =
|BV (2.0)|| Clan =
|Ammo BV (2.0)|| Clan =
The Advanced Point Defense System, which is also known as APD or APDS, is an Anti-Missile System designed to protect multiple units from incoming missile fire. The weapon system has two variants: the Standard and the Battlesuit variant.
Originally developed in secret by the Republic of the Sphere's Republic Institute of Strategic Combat (RISC) starting in 3132, the Advanced Point Defense System was one of the organization's few successful projects to bolster the Republic's arsenal. When it was developed, the APDS was originally known as the RISC Advance Point Defense System. There was lingering doubts about its effectiveness due to the questionable track record of the RISC. The system has its flaws: the weapon is unable to be used on any aerospace type of vehicle.
The Republic's secretive production facility, Rhodes Foundry, was first to put the weapon into production. It was initially utilized on the Aegis Point Defense Suit variant of the Angerona Battle Armor in 3134. A larger version intended for heavier units was devised in 3137 and notably mounted on variants of the Padilla tubed artillery combat vehicle and the Osprey class BattleMech.
The Advance Point Defense System is manufactured on the following planets:
McArthur III APDSEdit
|Manufactured on||Manufactured by||Typically used in||References|
| New Earth
|Blankenburg Technologies||Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3|
RISC Advanced Point Defense SystemEdit
|Manufactured on||Manufactured by||Typically used in||References|
|Devil's Rock||Rhodes Foundry Ltd.||Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3|
- As of this writing there is no clear manufacturer for the Advance Point Defense System used on the Osprey class medium BattleMech.
- The image used in this article does not depict the system, as there are no available pictures of the system.
- The Advanced Missile System was originally conceived by Wizkids for its MechWarrior Dark Age Collectable Miniatures game as part of its Solaris expansion set. It was intended as an attachable datacard for any faction with a light unit designation. It could be used by both general and unique units in the CGC game. The Advanced Missile System would be adapted later by Catalyst Game Labs and redefined for use for it's tabletop game with rules for its use in rules book Interstellar Operations.
- The APDS works the same as an Anti-Missile System; however, the system is unable to work when used on an airborne type unit.
- The weapon will engage any incoming missile as long its active (within its firing arc) to protect the unit on which it's mounted or any friendly unit within 90 meters (3 hexes).
- When APDS is successful making its attack against missile fire at it, the APDS applies -4 modifier to the Cluster Hits Table. Streak based missile attacks are presumed to have made a base roll of 11 in purposes of this rule.
- For LRM/SRM/MRM/Rocket Launcher type missile attacks: Cluster modifiers differ when the distance from APDS and the targeted unit is factor in. A unit that is being protected is 3 hexes away only receives a -1, a unit 2 hexes away receives -2, and when the friendly unit it next to the APDS mounted unit, it receives -3. Example Unit the APD is firing at missile attack against a friendly which is 2 hexes away, the roll on the cluster table will receive -2 modifier to determine how many missile have struck the friendly. Any Cluster Hits Table roll resulting of a 2, the missile attack fails and all missiles have been destroyed.
- For Thunderbolt/Narc type Single fire type launchers: To determine if the missile attack is successful or a failure. The ADP player rolls 1D6; 1-3 = Missile Destroyed, 4-6 = Missile Successfully hits the targeted unit. In case of APDS is defending a friendly unit. Modified results must include a +1 if the defending a unit up to 2 hexes away or by +2 if defending a unit 3 hexes away.
- APDS (Battlesuit) mounted units work per squad. When a Squad is attacked that mounts the APDS, the attacker's modifier on the Cluster Hits Table a -4. The APDS is less effective as the Squad is reduced in number. When the squad (mounting the ADPS) is targeted is reduced to 2-3 suits, the Cluster Hits effect reduced to –3 and -1 when there only one suit remaining active. When there is only a single active suit, the modifier is reduced to -2. Defense rolls for friendly units are same as with the Standard model APDS.
- An Advanced Missile Defense System can only make one attack per round regardless of number of APDS a unit has mounted per firing arc. The controlling player must choose which APDS is to be used against the missile attack in that firing arc. A Battle Armor Squads count as a single APDS system for purposes of firing, thus they can only engage one missile flight per squad.
- When using an APDS with AMS (laser or missile) maybe used together to reduce an incoming missile attack in the same turn. Depending which unit is the targeted in the attack, the modifier of the APDS and the respective system are combined. A Cluster roll resulting in a 2, will result in the missile attack is destroyed completely.
- APDS ammunition for Standard types uses 1 round of ammunition, where Battle Armor ammo is not normally recorded.
- APDS do not generate heat.
- The APDS cannot be mounted on any type of Aerospace or airborne type vehicle.
- The APDS fires automatically and does not need a gunner. The weapons system does require a Advance Fire Control to function if Standard version of the ADPS is mounted either; mobile structure, industrial 'Mech, or any non-Aerospace based Support Vehicle.
- ADPS (Battlesuit) version requires 2 item slots in the suit's chassis and weights 350 kg. Single Ammunition clip contains 6 rounds and weighing 15 kilogram.
- Interstellar Operations, pp. 91-92, 202, 215, 220-221 "RISC Advance Point Defense System"
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3, pp. 7, 13, 15 - Padilla/Osprey/Aegis - Variant Units which were the first to have a production Advanced PDS mounted on them for regular use.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3, p.13 - Pallilla Anti-Missile Tank - APDS mounted.
- Experimental Technical Readout: Republic, Volume 3, p.15 - Aegis Point Defense Suit - The original RISC APDS mounted on Refitted Angerona light Battle Armor.
- Advanced Anti-Missile System listed on MWDA Fan-site Warrenborne
- Interstellar Operations, pp.91-92