Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Thraxa nearby systems (3151)
|X:Y Coordinates||-322.077 : -378.003[e]|
|Recharge time||202 hours|
Planetary flag of Thraxa
| Jump point
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||22°C (Cool Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Mammal|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3067|
|Ruler|| Kyalla Centrella (3025)|
Duchess Molly Trussel (3067)
|Population|| 12,300,000 (3025)|
|HPG (Representative)|| None (3025)|
- 2571 - No record 
- 2596 - No record
- 2750 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2764 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2765 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2767 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2786 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2822 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2830 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 2864 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3025 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3030 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3040 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3050 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3052 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3057 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3058 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3059 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3063 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3067 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3075 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3079 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3081 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3085 - Magistracy of Canopus 
- 3130 - Independent world 
- 3135 - Independent world 
- 3145 - Independent world 
Thraxa is a semi-arctic world on the border between the Magistracy of Canopus and the Marian Hegemony. Much of the northern landmass of Thraxa is tundra, and remained so even after centuries of human habitation, a result of a deliberate conservation policy that keeps the tundra intact between cities and settlements. The mountains in the north attract serious climbers, who considered them a significant challenge despite numerous deaths and serious injuries in climbing attempts, and the winter storms that occur within those same mountain ranges are legendary. With rumours of killer blizzards and snow demons being popular, some believe that the blizzards are the manifestation of angry, vengeful spirits.
Native to Thraxa are snow bears, tazqan and the Thraxian devourer. The tazqan are a herbivore that resembles the Terran caribou and roam the preserved tundra; highly prized for the smoky taste of the meat by the inhabitants of Thraxa, tazqan are also the natural prey for the snow bears, who are bold enough that they will forage in human settlements when the tazqan herds have thinned as a result of poor foraging. In contrast with these two land-dwelling species, the Thraxian devourer is a sea serpent larger than a Terran Great White shark that is both a very fast and agile swimmer and a ferocious carnivore. The devourer is well known for venturing into shallow waters and is a particular threat to those swimming or manning fishing boats off the Crescent Archipelago during the planetary summer.
In 2978 bandits from the Marian Hegemony fell afoul of a fifteen year-old trap set on Thraxa by an earlier garrison commander. In 2963 Sandrella Raventhir established a series of dummy installations in various rural areas of Thraxa intended to simulate the power useage of a major industrial complex. Raventhir was drawing on tactics used a century before by General Anatoly Tansikoff of the Defenders of Andurien, who'd used a similar technique when the Free Worlds League had been under attack from the Capellan Confederation during a ComStar interdiction.
While the dummy installation was condemned at the time for being a monumental waste of energy, it proved to be effective in 2978 when the Marian raiders were completely disorientated to find that they were conducting a night raid on a complex that did not exist, and before they had recovered the local defending BattleMech regiment was bearing down on them. Raventhir's plan was vindicated, although Sandrella had actually retired in 2975, three years prior to the raid.
Thraxa had become almost entirely self-sufficient within a couple of generations of the planet being colonized, with the population developing the local economy, building up a fur trade, a forestry industry, and branching into coal mining, textiles and wool, all originally intended to support the local population but all of which had become viable sources for export. The population were already known for being stubborn and individualistic, and it was considered appropriate by observers that Thraxa merited the Clayborne's Commandos as its defending garrison, given that the Commandos were one of the more experienced units within the Cassandra's Volunteers formation and had seen a greater share of victories against Marian forces and upstart mercenaries than most other combat units within the Magistracy.
The Andurian/Canopian AllianceEdit
Thraxa enjoyed increasing prosperity in the mid thirty-first century; the lucrative trade in furs, timber, coal and textiles had continued to improve with the Thraxian textile industry enjoying a boom after the breeding of a local strain of sheep in 3045 that produced particularly fine wool in abundance. However, Thraxa found itself in a state of increasing tension with the central government of the Magistracy, a result of the Andurien-Canopian war with the Capellan Confederation. Not only were the native Thraxians stubborn and independent, but the war made the population more convinced that if they wanted anything done, they should do it themselves, as the central government couldn't be trusted to do it for them.
It was during this era that Ian Calderon, the third son of Protector Thomas Calderon of the Taurian Concordat, was killed and eaten by a Thraxian devourer while he was on a five-day leave pass from the Green Mountain Boys mercenary unit, who were stationed on Thraxa at the time.
The Pirates' WarEdit
Directly involved in the Pirates' War of 3057-3058, Thraxa was one of a number of worlds to suffer repeated attacks and raids, and the legacy of this conflict lingered. The Duchess and the population of Thraxa remained firmly convinced that the Marian Hegemony was responsible for the attacks, despite the lack of absolute proof, and were equally convinced that the Hegemony couldn't be trusted when apparent attempts at a detenté and rumours of enthusiasm for increased trade between the Magistracy and the Hegemony circulated in the late 3060s after Julius O'Reilly became Caesar. The general sentiment towards the Hegemony was summed up eloquently by the Duchess, who described the Marians as "pirates in togas."
By 3067 the government of Thraxa had hired Markson's Marauders to supplement the Magistracy Cavaliers in defending against bandit attacks and to help compensate for the loss of several regiments from the Magistracy Armed Forces to duties within the Capellan Confederation as a part of the terms of the Trinity Alliance.
During the Jihad the Magistracy was occupied by the Word of Blake. The local government on Thraxa initially collaborated with the occupiers, but in late February/early March 3069 an operation was conducted by the Magistracy Intelligence Ministry with the aim of toppling the local government. Masking the launch of the operation was another covert operation, the insertion of elite MIM personnel onto Thraxa from outside the system. MIM hired Grandin's Crusaders, a small mercenary command in the employ of Interstellar Expeditions, to escort three Mark VII Landing Craft crewed by elite Canopian intelligence personnel to Thraxa, using two of the three landing craft as distractions to allow operatives from the third to deploy onto the planet via HALO jumps. The Crusader's DropShip, the Tonnant, took minor damage during an engagement above the planet with elements of the planetary militia and mercenary units, at least one of which was identified by the Crusaders as being a unit impressed into service by the Word of Blake via the Company Store trap. Grandin subsequently learned of the operation against the local government, and his intelligence report to IE on the Thraxa operation was one of the first signs available to forces outside the Magistracy of an active resistance against the Blakist occupation.
As the Jihad wound down, the Magistracy Cavaliers were allowed to return to their homeworld, Thraxa, as a reward for the loyalty they showed the Magestrix. The Cavaliers returned to being responsible for the protection of Thraxa and the nearby world of Vixen, and would clash repeatedly with III Legio of the Marian Hegemony as well as raiding parties from both Astrokaszy and the former Free Worlds League.
- - At this point in time, the 1st Raventhir Cuirassiers were deployed across Thraxa and Vixen. The 1st was at 85% of full strength.
- 1st Battalion
- 2nd Battalion
- Elements of the Cavalier Armor Guard
- Elements of the Cavalier "Mountain Men" Guard
| Closest 20 systems (6 within 60 light-years)|
Distance in light years, closest systems first:
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 103, "Thraxa"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 98, "Thraxa"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 93, Magistracy of Canopus after Age of War, p. 93, "Magistracy of Canopus after Age of War  and fall of the Star League "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 23, "Free Worlds League after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 158, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Periphery, p. 35, "Magistracy Armed Forces Deployment Map - 2765"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 96, "Magistracy of Canopus -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 24-25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), pp. 112-113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Second Succession War, p. 18-19, "Inner Sphere - 2830"
- Second Succession War, p. 78-79, "Inner Sphere - 2864"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 96, Magistracy of Canopus after Age of War, p. 96, "Magistracy of Canopus after Third Succession War  and after FedCom Civil War "
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 42, "Free Worlds League after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 51, "Free Worlds League after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 22, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 54, "Free Worlds League after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- The Periphery, 2nd Edition, p. 111, "Magistracy of Canopus & Tortuga Dominions"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook), p. 97, "Near Periphery Kingdoms"
- Handbook: House Marik, p. 56, "Free Worlds League after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 64, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: FWLM, p. 17, "Free Worlds League Military Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 20, "Magistracy of Canopus Region Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 62, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. vii, "Inner Sphere - "
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 10, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 38, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 182, "Creatures"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 65, "Tactical Developments"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 82, "My Enemy, My Ally: The Marian Hegemony and the Circinus Federation"
- Handbook: Major Periphery States, p. 85, "Mercenary Commands"
- Total Chaos, p. 76, "Aftermath"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 137, "Magistracy Cavaliers"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 99, "Unit Deployment Table (as of 3025)"
- Mercenaries Supplemental, p. 68, "Mercenary Employment Table"
- Field Report: Periphery, p. 10, "Regimental Status"
- The Periphery (sourcebook), p. 157, "Map of the Periphery"
- Objective Raids, p. 46, "Magistracy of Canopus"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Report: FWLM
- Field Report: Periphery
- Field Report 2765: Periphery
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Marik
- Handbook: Major Periphery States
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- Inner Sphere (sourcebook)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Mercenaries Supplemental
- Objective Raids
- The Periphery, First Edition
- The Periphery, Second Edition
- Second Succession War
- Total Chaos