- June News Roundup 2020 - Supplemental
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For June 2020
- Did You Know? Other Games Come And Go, But MechWarrior: Living Legends Is Here To Stay
- Community Outreach - Michael At Metal Core Collectibles Talks About 3D Printing And Making Fan Designs
- Your BattleTech News Roundup For May 2020
- Read more →
Planet Overhaul Project
Hi Gruese, welcome to sarna, we are at this time on a planet Overhaul project, we fix and update the nearby system table on any planet, take a look on the planet project page, we use a spreadsheet with all known systems if you are interested please take a look her Volt, thanks to have you here.--Doneve (talk) 09:17, 26 October 2015 (PDT)
- Hello, and welcome to Sarna! If you have any questions or wonder where to get started, leave a message on my talk page. Hope to see you around!
- P.S. I'm not very involved in the Planets Project, but I know that people will be coming around to answer the talk page questions you had.-BobTheZombie (talk) 12:25, 26 October 2015 (PDT)
Deep periphery map
- I'm definitely not typing this on my phone in a meeting, but the coordinates below are the last generation Volt prepared. We only work to 2 decimal places here though, to account for the error margin in the measurements. BrokenMnemonic (talk) 10:37, 5 April 2017 (EDT)
- Thanks for the list, it's most helpful. Gruese 10:41, 5 April 2017 (EDT)
(deleted list of planetary system coordinates, better use SUCKit in the future) Gruese 16:37, 11 January 2020 (EST)
Just to get this overall thing started:
- As a general rule, all system names with a roman numeral indicate a specific planet within the system (e.g. Suk II = second planet in Suk system; Niops VII = seventh planet in Niops system). Cut the roman numerals from the article name as Sarna is seeking to have articles about Systems, not about planets. Redirects from "Name+Numeral" to the "System Name" article should be put in place.
- Special case: Klathandu IV is actually in the Klathan (not Klathandu) system, according to Tales of the Black Widow Company.
- 25 Years of Art and Fiction, "Rosetta" box/sidebar on p. 47 (going with the "Starfire" short story), states that "Per convention, the system is named after the habitable world, Rosetta." Which in this case is a moon around the fourth planet.
- Nebulae and clusters are a problem in how they should be adressed. They are normally not a system, just an astronomical feature of otherwise unconnected systems. The Erit Cluster is almost certainly a part of the Dark Nebula. Flannagan's Nebula is described as one huge multi-star system instead of a regular nebula so may be a special case unto its own. Needs to be discussed.
- ComStar's Hidden Five are special cases. Gabriel is just a place within the Odessa system, and not a system unto itself. Jardine is and always was Jardine so this is the correct name (and Herakleion is a made-up cover name alias). Obeedah, Taussen and Mayadi are alias cover names and should redirect to the real names, with the caveat that Herb Beas' revelation of the systems' real names is not actually canonical.
- Here's a list of alias names from the thread about Gruese's project over at the HBS forum: Alias name list
- Here's another list on my own Talk Page (compiled by Mendrugo), much of it apocryphal aliases taken from BattleTechnology. I've already worked down that list, created redirects, and every article from this particular list should already have some text in it adressing the alias name.
- One entry not found on either list: "Wheel" is a space station in what is actually named the Valdis system, according to BattleTechnology.
- I'd like to have added (to the above) the reference I see you using for BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction, as I agree with you that is a definitive rule for naming.
- We'll see you when you get 'back'.--Revanche (talk|contribs) 08:14, 12 August 2017 (EDT)
What a beautiful project
Seriously, it is well done and useful, providing an excellent GUI for imaging local neighbors, jump paths....I am very impressed. What have you done to advertise it? Would it be possible to add it non-canon systems for RPG purposes, as a custom file?