|Manufacturer||Coventry Metal Works|
Hope Industrial Works
Vandenberg Mechanized Industries
|Mech type||Inner Sphere BattleMech|
|Chassis||Coventry Metal Works|
|Engine||Omni & GM 150|
|Communications System||TharHes Crystal Flower RG-2|
|Targeting Tracking System||TharHes Star Shark|
In 2463 Coventry Metal Works (then known as Coventry Defense Conglomerate) introduced their second BattleMech, the COM-1A Commando. Created for the Lyran Commonwealth Armed Forces and one of the first 'Mechs ever designed for reconnaissance, the Commando was much lighter and faster than its precursors, though it still utilized primitive BattleMech technology. The Commando was able to destroy much heavier Kuritan Gladiators during the first large-scale battle between BattleMechs in 2475 on Nox.
The installed Large Laser caused several problems and other 'Mechs were soon introduced (like the Wasp in 2464 and the Stinger in 2479) that were better equipped for scouting and even mounted jump jets. The Commando's profile was radically changed with the introduction of the sophisticated COM-2D variant in 2486, which exchanged the laser weaponry with short range missiles and turned the machine into a striker.
With only four tons of armor to protect itself, the Commando is not meant to participate in a stand-up fight against heavier enemies, but it excels at hit-and-run tactics and as a scout hunter.
The Commando became popular among LCAF forces and, nearly 600 years later, is still mainly in use by Lyrans. The Commonwealth went to great pains to keep the 'Mech solely in Lyran hands, especially during the years of the Star League. It took an alliance with the Federated Suns and the creation of the Federated Commonwealth to break the stranglehold. The Commando was chosen as the standard light BattleMech for the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth next to the Valkyrie, and after the upgrade to the COM-5S model in 3050, Vandenberg Mechanized Industries was allowed to produce the old COM-2D for the Taurian Defense Force. Furthermore, the Marian Hegemony deploys the Rocket Launcher-packed COM-4H, and the Word of Blake produced its own variant (the COM-7B) during its occupation of Coventry from 3068 to 3074.
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
The standard COM-2D Commando carries two different SRM launchers, a Coventry 4-tube and a Shannon Six Shooter, each with one ton of ammo. The secondary weapon is a Defiance B3M Medium Laser. This weapons load can cause a lot of damage for a light 'Mech and makes the Commando an effective striker, especially when used in groups. An often-used tactic for those is to rush upon a single target, concentrate their fire and retreat before the enemy can offer effective resistance. The COM-2D's communication gear, Crystal Flower RG-2, as well as the Star Shark targeting system were produced by TharHes on Tharkad.
- The original Commando used prototype equipment that was similarly primitive to those found in the first BattleMech, the Mackie. This version was completely replaced by its successor. First constructed in 2463, the 'Mech was equipped with only an Odin Large Laser mounted in its right arm. It was fitted with five tons of armor and the engine could move the 'Mech up to a maximum speed around 80 km/h. These were the early Commandos that took part in the Battle of Nox in 2475 against Draconis Combine forces. BV (2.0) = 475.
- Because the idea of a Commando that was armed, like its ancestor, with a longer-ranged Large Laser appealed to many MechWarriors, Lyran engineers developed the COM-1B in 3015. This variant wielded a Large Laser and an SRM-2 in addition to the Medium Laser. To make space for these changes, the engineers had to remove the SRM-6 launcher. However, this variant was short-lived. BV (2.0) = 616
- The COM-3A carries two SRM-6 launchers, a Medium Laser and a Flamer. This was accomplished by removing the SRM-4 launcher and lowering the amount of armor on the 'Mech by one ton. This variant appeared in 3025 and became quite popular because of its hitting-power. BV (1.0) = 392, BV (2.0) = 540 
- The COM-5S was introduced in 3050 and was the first Commando to feature Star League technology. Its new Cyclops MultiTasker 10 Targeting System links an Artemis IV Fire Control System to the Coventry 90mm SRM-6, which replaces the Shannon Six-Shooter, and exchanges the SRM-4 with a Coventry T4H Streak-2 launcher launcher. Additionally, the chassis has been upgraded with Endo Steel, the armor has been upgraded to Ferro-Fibrous, and CASE has been added to protect the ammunition. The variant is also equipped with a new communications system called Cyclops 14. BV (1.0) = 504, BV (2.0) = 557
- Following the conquest of Coventry by the Word of Blake, the Jihadists modified the 7S to meet their specifications. The 7B keeps one ER Medium Laser in the left arm, but adds two Flamers to it, making the 7B a lethal threat to unarmored infantry. A small cockpit makes room for two SRM-4s, which are still fed by a CASE-protected ammunition bin. The weight savings enabled engineers to add enough jump jets to rocket the Commando up to one hundred-twenty meters at a time. They also added an additional ton of armor. BV (2.0) = 602
- A -7X variant of the Commando canonically exists, by virtue of being listed in the Master Unit List. However, no source or record sheet is stated. With the MUL the only source, the canonical configuration remains unknown besides it being a 25-ton BattleMech. (It is likely but ultimately unconfirmed that this is identical to the otherwise apocryphal variant from the MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries computer game; see below.)
- This version of the Commando uses an Endo Steel chassis and XL Engine that propels it to a maximum of 110 km/h. It carries a pair of Streak SRM-2 launchers in the right arm and a pair of ER Medium Lasers in the left arm. The Streak ammunition is stored in a CASE II protected bay. A Boosted C3 Slave allows the Commando to share targeting data with friendly forces, and a Supercharger allows it to reach speeds of 140km/h in short bursts. BV (2.0) = 775
- COM-7S2 Commando Freyr
- The personal 'Mech of ex-Arcturan Guards member-turned-treacherous Hunter's Paradise guide Zvi Freyr, his Commando has been extensively modified with both Clan and experimental technologies. Retaining only the Endo Steel chassis and CASE of his formerly stock COM-5S model, Freyr has replaced the standard weapons with lighter Clan-tech systems, including two Streak SRM-4 launchers in its right arm with a single ton of reloads and a pair of ER Medium Lasers mounted in the left arm. The use of a Small Cockpit and a salvaged Clan extra-light engine save enough weight to switch to double strength heat sinks, as well as carry six jump jets and seven tons of Hardened Armor. BV (2.0) = 1,155
These variants were introduced in various apocryphal sources, and thus far have not appeared in any canonical media.
- "Blazing Inferno"
- As of 3028, the techs on Chara III used this designation for a field modification of the COM-2D that exchanges both missile launchers for three additional medium lasers built into the right arm, right torso, and head, respectively, plus six small lasers mounted in pairs on each leg and the center torso, and an additional ton of armor (+3 points to each leg, +2 points to the head, center torso and both torso sides, and +1 point to each arm). It was implied that this was a standard field refit as opposed to a unique one-off modification.
- The starting chassis for the player, the 7X variant exchanges the SRM-4 for an additional medium laser in each arm (for a total of three). It retains the SRM-6 and the ammunition bin for the SRM-4 is repurposed to provide a second ton of ammunition to the SRM-6. Team Venom fielded at least one such 'Mech in a raid against the Draconis Combine in 3044. (Note that a variant designated COM-7X canonically exists, but its configuration is unknown; see above.) BV = 623
- The COM-J has the same armament as the COM-A and three tons of armor. It has jump jets equipped that allow it to jump up to one hundred meters.
From MechWarrior Online:
- COM-TDK "Death's Knell"
- Named after the silver-colored Commando 'Mech of the same name piloted by Captain Bono Duganmare of the 22nd Skye Rangers, this apocryphal variant of the Commando is available within the MechWarrior Online game. Whilst Captain Duganmare and his 'Mech are canonical, the 'Mech's exact configuration was not mentioned in the original source, suggesting it would be an unmodified standard model. The variant presented by MechWarrior Online removes the weapon loadout of the COM-2D and replaces it with four Medium Lasers, two mounted in each arm. The additional four tons freed up with the removal of the COM-2D's original weapon suite are devoted to an upgraded 175 Series Fusion Engine, double heat sinks, and a half-ton of additional armor; it should be noted that within the time period described by the original source, Technical Readout: 3025, double heat sinks were not available.
- It is often claimed that the Commando was designed as a competitor with both the popular Wasp and Stinger light 'Mechs, but these were in fact only developed some years later (in 2471 and 2479, respectively).
|“|| "The introduction date for the Commando was 2463" and "all references the Commando being built as a Stinger/Wasp competitor are also in error; the Commando was actually one of the Commonwealth's first forays into light 'Mech design."
The starting sentence should therefore read: "Coventry Metal Works (then known as Coventry Defense Conglomerate) produced the Commando as one of the Commonwealth's first home-grown entries into the newly created industry of BattleMech design and manufacture. Far lighter than most contemporary units, the Commando was also the Lyran Commonwealth's first bona fide reconnaissance BattleMech."
- This was announced in the "Ask the Writers" section of the CBT forums and the verdict is therefore supposed to be canonical information.
- Though the first Commando that appeared in Technical Readout: 3025 had its head turned to the side, many believed it to be its front view. This led to many (and official) pictures of the 'Mech with one eye and a tilted hat until the head was redesigned for Technical Readout: 3050.
- In German products the unit's proper name was perfectly translated to Kommando. The model code was accordingly changed to KOM-2D.
Original COM-2D Commando from TRO:3025
COM-5S Commando from TRO:3050
COM-5S Commando from TRO:3050 Upgrade
Primitive COM-1A Commando from XTRO:Primitives I
Experimental COM-7S2 Commando Freyr from XTRO:Pirates
Token of Commando from BattleTech, Fourth Edition
COM-2D Commando in motion from BattleTech Record Sheets: A Game of Armored Combat
COM-5S Commando in combat from CCG
- Field Manual: 3145, p. 189, "Fiefdom of Randis"
- MUL online entry for Commando
- Technical Readout: 3025, p. 14
- Era Digest: Age of War, p. 11
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 1, p.3
- Technical Readout: 3039, pp. 102-103, "COM-2D Commando 'Mech Profile"
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade, p.12
- XTRO: Primitives Vol. 1, pp. 3 & 17 COM-1A Commando - Primitive Commando profile and record sheet.
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 12
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 13
- Master Unit List: Battle Values, p. 80
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 57
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 14
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 15
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p. 36
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 17
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 16
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades, p. 77
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates, pp. 3 & 16
- Technical Readout: 3060, p. 136
- Technical Readout: 3060 Revised, p. 137
- CBT forum reply
- Experimental Technical Readout: Pirates
- Experimental Technical Readout: Primitives, Volume 1
- Field Manual: 3145
- Master Unit List
- Record Sheets: 3039
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrade (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: 3145 New Tech, New Upgrades
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3025
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3050
- Technical Readout: 3050 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade
- Technical Readout: 3060
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Era Digest: Age of War