8th Syrtis Fusiliers
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers used lighter 'Mechs, hovercraft, and VTOLs to move quickly throughout the battlefields.
|8th Syrtis Fusiliers RCT|
|Unit Profile (as of 3062)|
|Nickname||The Snow Cobras|
|Parent Formation||Syrtis Fusiliers|
|Formed||Age of War|
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers could trace its origins back to the Age of War or earlier and the private military force raised by House Hasek to defend its mining and drilling concerns on New Syrtis. The Syrtis Fusiliers became the private guard and personal army of the Hasek family, with their star rising alongside that of the Hasek family and New Syrtis; the Syrtis Fusiliers expanded, and as time progressed the brigade became the official guard of New Syrtis and then the perhaps the most important military command within the Capellan March Principality of the Federated Suns.
Davion Civil WarEdit
The bulk of the Syrtis Fusiliers brigade supported Prince David Varnay and his wife Cassandra Davion loyally throughout the Davion Civil War, opposing first the combined forces of Laura Davion and Nikolai Rostov and then First Prince Alexander Davion. At the end of the war Prince Alexander offered an amnesty to the survivors from the brigade, and reintegrated the Syrtis Fusiliers into the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, the restructured military that replaced the Federated Peacekeeping Forces as the state military of the Federated Suns.
Alexander's clemency towards the Syrtis Fusiliers and his subsequent actions in rebuffing the attempt by Richard Varnay to seize control of the Capellan March cemented the Fusiliers' loyalty to New Avalon and the wider Federated Suns.
The Star LeagueEdit
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers served the Federated Suns well in the two centuries following the Davion Civil War; when the Star League council issued the Council Edict of 2650, sharply limiting the size of the military each Great House was allowed to maintain, the Eighth and her sister regiments were left untouched. The brigade would remain ten regiments strong until shortly after the repeal of the Council Edict of 2650.
During the Star League era the Eighth was a complete contrast to her sister regiment, the Seventh, perhaps intentionally; whereas the Seventh was an assault regiment with a preponderance of slow, heavy 'Mechs, the Eighth was a lightweight regiment within which almost every 'Mech could reach a cruising speed of sixty kilometers per hour or better. As a consequence the Eighth was capable of maneuvering very flexibly on the battlefield.
First Succession WarEdit
In February 2788 First Prince John Davion launched Operation SOLAR SHIELD, a desperate plan to try and disrupt the invasion of the Federated Suns launched by the Draconis Combine in May 2787. Prince John had been preparing to invade the Capellan Confederation when news of the Combine invasion reached him, and the forces he drew together for SOLAR SHIELD were based on those three 'Mech regiments nearby earmarked for the abortive invasion of the Confederation plus some six assorted regiments of armor and infantry provided by regional militias within the Marlette Combat Region. Prince John divided his forces into three groups and launched strikes at three occupied worlds on the Terran flank of the invasion, hoping to disrupt the thrust being lead personally by Coordinator Minoru Kurita.
SOLAR SHIELD proved to be flawed from the outset; the units assembled lacked time to train together, Prince John's forces were limited in number, and he had only a handful of WarShips available to use to escort his forces. Senior officers advised against the operation, but Prince John felt that speed was of the essence, and ordered that the operation go ahead. Elbar was one of the worlds targeted by SOLAR SHIELD, and in May 2788 the Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers jumped into the Elbar system, initially encountering no serious difficulties. While the transport JumpShips recharged, the Fusilier DropShips set off for Elbar, along with a small WarShip escort, but before the JumpShips could finish recharging the Narukami-class destroyer DCS Tsutsuji appeared and attacked the transports, supported by two squadrons of aerospace fighters.
The Fusiliers realised that they were heading into a trap, and that the DCMS forces were well-prepared for any attack; their two-ship WarShip escort lacked enough docking collars to enable the Fusiliers to escape with all their DropShips, and the Tsutsuji had destroyed all eight Fusilier JumpShips, so the Fusiliers resorted to transferring as many of their DropShip crews, passengers and equipment into the Carrack-class transport FSS Port Victoria as they could before jumping out of the Elbar system, abandoning more than a dozen DropShips behind them. Combined with heavy defeats on Cartago and Schedar as well, SOLAR SHIELD was an abject failure that cost the AFFS men and resources it couldn't afford to lose.
Third Succession WarEdit
FedCom Civil WarEdit
The unit was dragged into the FedCom Civil War in 3065 when pro-Katherine forces tried to conquer New Syrtis in an attempt to neutralize Duke Hasek. The Duke's forces eventually repelled the invaders but all units suffered heavy casualties. The Eighth was forced to fight the 11th Avalon Hussars, 4th Donegal Guards, and the Ridgebrook CMM. The unit was stationed to Genoa in 3067 to rebuild.
After participating in Operation Sovereign Justice and Operation Thunderstrike the Eighth's personnel issues have downgraded the unit's experience level. The Eighth's soldiers were also having trouble learning the new tactics that are required by a Light Combat Team. Fortunately Brusett wasn't likely to come under attack soon, so this weakness cannot be exploited by the Capellan Confederation.
The Dark AgeEdit
As part of Operation MATADOR the Eighth teamed up with the Second Robinson Strikers to assault Hyalite. The two AFFS units drove the Third Taurian Lancers from the world. The Eighth then went on to secure Norman's World. In 3082 they were able to rebuild their armor unit and gain the full complement of battle armor troopers. They were moved to garrison Talcott.
|Commanding Officers of the 8th Syrtis Fusiliers|
|Hauptmann General||Pollak Ramsey||3050|
|Hauptmann General||Deborah Palu||3054|
The Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers are a fast unit - deploying light Mechs, hover-tanks, and helicopters.
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers (Regiment/Veteran/Reliable)
- - At This point in time the Eighth were stationed on Chesterton. The Syrtis Hover Recon - a battalion of hover vehicles - had been attached to the Eighth for so long at this point in time that it was essentially a de facto part of the Eighth, although it was still listed as merely being "temporarily attached".
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers (Veteran/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Eighth were a light-weight regiment at full strength and based on Chesterton.
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers (Veteran/Reliable)
- - At this point in time the Eighth had been reduced to just forty-five percent of full strength and were based on New Ivaarsen.
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Marshal Iona Hasek
Eighth Syrtis Füsiliers RCT (Regular/Reliable)
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Pollak Ramsey 
- Note: At this point in time the unit was stationed on Lothair. 
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Hauptmann General Deborah Palu
- CO: Leftenant General Entropy Richards
- Aide: Major Lorena Felton
- CO: Light Commodore Jordane Meloch
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (3 Regiments/Elite/Fanatical)
- CO: Major General Bruce Durnne
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel Iakobus Malenkov
- Eighth Ogilvie Light Armor - Colonel: Hachi Lee-Kwane
- Eighty-eighth Lyons Cavalry Regiment - Colonel: Ingvar Haakensen
- 100th Talon Armored Regiment - Leftenant Colonel Darlene Shouth
- 259th Syrtis Artillery Battalion - Captain Dusty Bondo
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (4 Regiments/Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Rezi LaFayette
- Aide: Leftenant Colonel Paul Farchione
- 384th Federation Mechanized Infantry Regiment - Colonel: Meda Brown
- 390th Federation Mechanized Infantry Regiment - Colonel: William James Rohm
- Seventh Alcyone Mechanized Regiment - Leftenant Colonel: Veronica Hasek-Romanov
- 189th Syrtis Jump Regiment - Colonel: Rafaella Delacruz
- Infantry regiments fields AFVs
- CO: General Entropy Richards
- CO: Rear Admiral Grant Jeron
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (Elite/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Dusty Bondo
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General William James Rohm
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers LCT (Regular/Questionable)
- CO: Marshal Entropy Richards
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Aerospace Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Commodore Adriano Bott
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Armor Brigade (Regular/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Fleur Baggaley
Eighth Syrtis Fusiliers Infantry Brigade (Green/Reliable)
- CO: Major General Alaric Schneider
Since at least 2960, the Eighth have had a traditional drink: the "Sour Cobra":
Theoretically 2 shots of Bourbon, 1 spoon citrus juice, 1 spoon lemon juice, 1 cup crushed ice. But in reality on New Syrtis they often had to resort to: Bourbon, concentrated citrus or lemon juice, and ice, freshly chopped from a glacier.
The Sour Cobra is also recommended for cleaning purposes.
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 141
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 18, "Syrtis Fusiliers"
- First Succession War, p. 40, "Fighting The Tsunami"
- First Succession War, p. 41, "An Expensive Learning Curve"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 137 (pdf version), "Ridgebrook PDZ"
- Field Manual: Federated Suns, p. 107, "8th Syrtis Fusiliers Unit Profile"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 132
- FedCom Civil War (sourcebook), pp. 141-142, 156
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 137, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3067"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 15
- Technical Readout: 3058 Upgrade, p. 86
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 23
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 54
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 63
- 20 Year Update, p. 22, "AFFC Deployment Table - 3050"
- Objective Raids, p. 15, "Federated Commonwealth Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 69, "AFFS Deployment Table - 3085"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 19, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War, p. 134, "Armed Forces of the Federated Suns"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 136
- Imminent Crisis , p. 43