Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Systems neighboring New Syrtis
|X:Y Coordinates||231.063 : -296.899[e]|
|Recharge time||197 hours|
New Syrtis IVEdit
Planetary flag of New Syrtis
| Jump point
|Moons||1 (Varnay's Star)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Breathable)|
|Equatorial temperature||35°C (Hot)|
|Highest native life||10%, Plant|
|Ruler|| Prince Richard Varnay (2462)|
Prince David Varnay (2502)
Cassandra Varnay (2530)
Duke Damien Hasek (2829)
Duke Michael Hasek-Davion (3025)
Duke George Hasek (3067)
Duchess Angela Hasek (3076)
|Population|| 3,682,000,000 (3025, apocryphal)|
|Socio-Industrial Levels|| A-A-B-A-C (3067)|
- 2270 - Terran Alliance 
- 2317 - No record 
- 2571 - Federated Suns 
- 2596 - Federated Suns 
- 2750 - Federated Suns 
- 2764 - Federated Suns 
- 2765 - Federated Suns 
- 2786 - Federated Suns 
- 2822 - Federated Suns 
- 2864 - Federated Suns 
- 3025 - Federated Suns 
- 3030 - Federated Suns 
- 3040 - Federated Suns 
- 3050 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3052 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3057 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3058 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3063 - Federated Commonwealth 
- 3067 - Federated Suns 
- 3079 - Federated Suns 
- 3081 - Federated Suns 
- 3085 - Federated Suns 
- 3130 - Federated Suns 
- 3135 - Federated Suns 
- 3145 - Capellan Confederation 
- 3147 - Federated Suns 
New Syrtis has three major landmasses, Copplin, Mawreddog and Snowden; the planetary capital, Saso, is located on Mawreddog.
New Syrtis was first settled in the late 2260s, despite having been found the previous century by exploration parties from the Terran Alliance. When New Syrtis was eventually settled, it was colonized by various mining concerns, looking to mine in the narrow equatorial temperate zone, as New Syrtis was still locked in a perpetual ice age.
The first settlers on New Syrtis colonized the world hoping that the rumors of precious metals and minerals beneath the snow were true; when it turned out that they were, the result was New Syrtis becoming a boom world overnight as thousands arrived, looking for wealth. Those who arrived to work as miners invariably worked for months in isolation out in the snow and ice, before returning to more welcoming climes with tons of valuable ore and a burning desire to raise hell. This produced a series of settlements and cities within the temperate regions of the planet with names like Hangover Hell, Lady's Favor and Pink Passion, all populated by those determined to extract the new-found wealth from miners in the most expedient manners possible. The boom ended quickly after the easily-extracted deposits ran out, ending the era of the independent miner and the sin cities that served them; these would be replaced with organized mining concerns and corporations, looking to extract the deeper deposits.
Age of WarEdit
During the Age of War New Syrtis was the seat of the rulers of the Capellan March Principality of the Federated Suns. In 2462, five years into the reign of First Prince Ellen Davion, the position of Prince of the Capellan March Principality, and Ellen Davion used her rising authority to move Richard Varnay out of the senior posts he held on New Avalon and passed the vacant title to Richard and his heirs. New Syrtis became the seat of power for the Varnay family as a result.
In 2523 David Varnay, grandson of Richard Varnay and Prince of the Capellan March and his wife, Cassandra Davion abducted Alexander Davion, son of the former First Prince of the Federated Suns and heir to the throne, and brought him to New Syrtis. While the pretext for the abduction was so that Alexander could tour the realm, there was no intention of allowing Alexander to leave the Capellan March capital, and in early 2524 Alexander was married to Cynthia Varnay, the daughter of David and Cassandra. The intention was that by marrying the 17-year old heir to their daughter, the Varnays would give Cynthia a solid claim to the throne of the Crucis March, and if a child was born out of the marriage, the Varnay claim would become even stronger.
Unfortunately for the Varnays, Cynthia lacked their ambition, and she and Alexander discovered a love for each other, and with the discovery in August of 2524 that Cynthia was pregnant, the two began plotting to escape from the Varnays and New Syrtis. When Laura Davion and her forces from the Draconis March Principality joined forces with Prince Nikolai Rostov of the Terran March Principality in late 2524 and announced that the Varnays had kidnapped Alexander and were no longer a part of the Regency Council, the Varnays formed their own rump Regency Council, based on New Syrtis. The Varnays claimed that New Avalon was a world under occupation by an illegal government, and used their puppet council to make their own declarations of war, directed at Laura Davion.
Alexander managed to escape from the Varnays while touring Nahoni with David Varnay, and having recruited troops loyal to himself in January 2527 he sent messengers to New Syrtis demanding the release of Cynthia and his son Vincent in exchange for the Varnay troops captured on Nahoni. Cassandra Varnay agreed, allowing Cynthia and Vincent to leave New Syrtis.
With the death of David Varnay on Ashley in 2530 rule of New Syrtis and the Capellan March passed to Cassandra, but the Varnays would lose control of New Syrtis after being defeated by the combined military forces of Alexander Davion and Prince Dmitri Rostov, son of Nikolai Rostov, in 2537, and Cassandra Varnay fled to the Capellan Confederation along with her seven year old son.
Prince Alexander abolished the positions of the Five Princes early in his reign, and with the Varnays removed from New Syrtis, a series of different noble rulers would come to rule New Syrtis and the Capellan March over the following decades. Very few of the nobles put in place to rule would last more than two or perhaps three generations; even during the relatively peaceful time of the Star League, personality conflicts and political infighting resulted in the leadership turning over relatively frequently.
The Varnays would return to New Syrtis in 2565 in the form of Roger Varnay, son of David and Cassandra. Cassandra and Roger had spent years funneling funding to their supporters on and around New Syrtis as well as other covert aid, resources used to oppose the government of Prince Alexander. Roger Varnay returned to Federated Suns space from the Capellan Confederation in 2565 and attempted to rally supporters to his cause, but his recruiting efforts ended after his supporting Capellan WarShips were destroyed in the Battle of Kigamboni late in the year, and Roger ended up fleeing back to Capellan space with the 8th Syrtis Fusiliers pursuing him. The Fusiliers destroyed most of Roger's forces, although Roger himself escaped to Confederation space.
The Star LeagueEdit
Josip Varnay, the grandson of Roger Varnay, returned to New Syrtis in 2617, hoping to capitalize on the economic woes experienced by the Federated Suns by raising support for the Capellan Principality's reconstitution as an independent state and for the newborn Principality to reject membership of the Star League. New Syrtis was one of a number of worlds on the verge of open rebellion as a result of the economics problems; while the planet hadn't been in outright rebellion, demonstrations and acts of civil disobedience were common on many worlds, and it didn't take much for Josip to persuade people to support him. With the planetary population tired of promises of money from the Star League that never arrived, businesses failing and taxes increasing, Josip was able to push the population into open rebellion.
While Josip attracted a large band of followers, albeit followers of dubious quality, Josip had no support from the Capellan Confederation and was soon forced to flee approaching Federated Suns troops. Josip's mistake was that he assumed that the people of New Syrtis were rebelling on his account; he didn't realize that while he had acted as a catalyst following discontent over other issues, and when the AFFS arrived to put down the rebellion most of Varnay's apparent support vanished. The few who genuinely supported him were captured or killed, and the Varnay name carried no weight with the remaining population. After Josip's actions the Confederation found it expedient to expel the entire Varnay family, and the Varnay family direct claims to New Syrtis and the Capellan Principality died with the subsequent deaths of Josip and his brother, neither of whom had sired any children.
The combination of New Syrtis' extensive military industry and it's role as a political and military capital world made the planet a natural target for aggression from the nearby Capellan Confederation, but the traditionally strong military defense force on the world and the extreme weather conditions protected New Syrtis from being conquered.
First Prince Paul Davion moved his field headquarters to New Syrtis on the 7th of July 2829 after the death of Chancellor Ilsa Liao of the Capellan Confederation as a part of concentrating his attentions against the Capellans. One of Paul's first acts was to appoint a hero of the Federated Suns defense on Demeter earlier as Duke of New Syrtis. That hero was Colonel Damien Hasek, the first of the Hasek family to rule New Syrtis; Damian was invested with all of the powers that had previously been enjoyed by the Princes of the Capellan March when it had been a Principality, centuries before. Hasek was accepting a difficult legacy; the First Succession War alone had claimed four Lords of the Capellan March in battle alone, with two more suffering injuries severe enough that they couldn't continue to rule as March Lord. While Prince Paul's appointment of Damien Hasek was a purely political one, it was also an inspired choice, and Damian established a legacy of capable and loyal service to the Federated Suns.
By this time the easily mined veins were exhausted and large mining companies were beginning to arrive with the intention of strip-mining the rest of the world. Whether the Haseks acted out of concern for their world or a desire to control all the wealth it produced is uncertain, but rather than see the delicate arctic ecosystem disrupted, the Hasek's arranged for the mining trade to be heavily monitored and regulated, and for the equatorial belt to be converted into agricultural land that could be used to sustain the planetary population. The result was the sustained long-term financial solvency of the Hasek family and the long-term viability of New Syrtis.
During the troubled reign of First Prince Joseph Davion in the early thirtieth century, Brotherhoods of MechWarrior began to form to protect the patronage they enjoyed as a result of their status in the media and the eyes of the common citizen; the first and worst of these Brotherhoods to form, the Royal Order of MechWarriors and Brotherhood of Honor, formed on New Syrtis.
By 3025 rumors were circulating that Johnston Industries of Addicks was considering opening a new facility of some kind on New Syrtis, rumors which would later prove true when Johnston opened a plant in Cilitren on Mawreddog. Also the subject of much rumor and speculation at the time were the New Syrtis Shipyards, which had been sealed off from outside access since June 3022 and guarded by armed DropShips and AeroSpace Fighters as a part of some activity involving the NAIS.
New Syrtis was the target of many Capellan attacks during the Succession Wars, a reflection of the importance the world continued to have within the Federated Suns; the natural defenses offered by the perpetual ice age were responsible for anecdotally claiming one in five of every attacking Capellan 'Mechs or vehicles. The difficult conditions are what drove the Hasek's to build their capital city, Saso, outside the temperate zone; located on the northern continent of Mawreddog, Saso is the site of the University of Saso and sits above the Regional Military Headquarters from which the Haseks have coordinated military activity across the entire Capellan March.
In 3012 Field Marshal Hanse Davion arrived on New Syrtis to investigate the problems generated by Duke Michael Hasek-Davion that were plaguing the Capellan March and to prosecute a campaign against the Capellan Confederation, but spoiling attacks from the Confederation disrupted his investigations and the resulting front-wide counterattack prevented him from returning to New Syrtis.
FedCom Civil WarEdit
On the 15th of June 3069 a detachment of Death Commandos liberated Kai Allard-Liao from New Syrtis. This was followed by a direct assault on New Syrtis by CCAF forces as the effective culmination of Operation THUNDERSTRIKE in the second week of September. The nearby world of Taygeta was assaulted for a second time during the same period, and the defenders on New Syrtis found themselves joined by retreating forces from Taygeta. The Capellan forces had come prepared for a winter offensive in the northern hemisphere, and with Duke George Hasek having removed many of the units that traditionally defended New Syrtis as a part of his doctrine of total offensive during Operation SOVEREIGN JUSTICE the Capellan forces quickly dug-in. The resulting fighting devastated the capital city, Saso, with the Tiskilwa University complex almost completely destroyed; fortunately, the 4th Donegal Guard, augmented by the security forces from Johnston Industries managed to prevent most of the attempts to damage the Johnston Industries plant.
The fighting on New Syrtis would continue for months, but on the 7th of January 3070 Chancellor Sun-Tzu Liao called for a cease-fire which included those CCAF units engaged on Taygeta and New Syrtis. Although the Chancellor called for both the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation to unite against the Word of Blake as a common enemy, the CCAF troops on New Syrtis and Taygeta staged fighting withdrawals from both words that inflicted a great deal of damage on each, prompting Duke George Hasek to order the AFFS to continue to fight and show no mercy to retreating Capellan units, an order that wouldn't be rescinded until after Hasek's death in March. By the time the Capellan forces left, more than a hundred thousand civilians had died, mostly as a result of exposure following the destruction of their homes.
New Syrtis was struck by a violent protest on the 6th of April 3076; the target of the protest was March Lord Angela Hasek, with agitators claiming that Duke George Hasek, had been assassinated in 3070 not by the Word of Blake but rather by the Federated Suns. It was later alleged that the agitators behind the protest were backed by the Blakists. Agents from DMI and MIIO subsequently rounded up more than fifty individuals on the 14th of June who had been identified as "anti-government" leaders believed to be involved with the movement against the Federated Suns government.
A Taurian Concordat task force struck at New Syrtis on the 12th of October 3076, using a combination of bombing runs, random orbital bombardment and nuclear strikes to not only cripple the New Syrtis Shipyards facilities but also to inflict devastating damage on large swathes of the equitorial regions of the world. More than two million people died during the bombardment, and the headquarters of the Capellan March command post, dubbed "The Cave", was cut off for months after the bombardment collapsed all of the entrances. The shipyard operated by New Syrtis Shipyards was crippled by nuclear suicide runs performed by Concordat Tigress-class gunboats, but escaped more lightly than the zenith point JumpShip repair yards, which took greater than ninety percent damage between the Concordat attacks and the earlier Capellan attacks.
At least as late as mid-3078 the equitorial regions of New Syrtis remained uninhabitable, with news agencies claiming that hundreds of thousands were starving and that New Syrtis was relying on outside assistance to survive on a day-by-day basis; the city on Mawreddog in which the Johnston Industries facility was located, Cilitren, remained a dead city.
The New Syrtis Shipyards at LaGrange Point 4 were still being repaired in 3079, with the first priority for the shipyards being to conduct repairs on the FSS New Syrtis; by the end of the Jihad these shipyards were the only shipyards in the Federated Suns capable of maintaining the diminished FedSuns WarShip fleet.
While the Johnston Industries plant on New Syrtis remained offline, the company expanded it's facilities on the Draconis March world of Benet III] in an effort to recover some of the lost production, although Johnston hoped to be able to begin at least producing Dagger OmniFighters from the New Syrtis site by early 3080.
The two military training facilities on New Syrtis, the Warrior's Hall and the Combat Training Centre continued to operate; located in Saso, the Warrior's Hall ran training programmes focussing on BattleMechs, infantry (both conventional and battle armored), conventional armor and AeroSpace Fighters, while the Combat Training Centre located in the wetlands around Madler on Copplin focused on infantry (again, both conventional and battle armored), conventional armor and conventional fighters.
One of the many casualties of the conflict on New Syrtis during the Jihad was the Johnston Industries facility, which while largely intact was heavy contaminated with radiation, with cleanup operations still going on in the early 3080s as the company tried to return the plant to production.
Era Specific DataEdit
- New Syrtis CMM
- New Syrtis CMM
- New Syrtis CMM
- The Medusans (Command and Support)
- Sixth Syrtis Fusiliers RCT
- Fourth Donegal Guards RCT
- New Syrtis CMM
- Fourth Donegal Guards
- New Syrtis CMM (effectively destroyed in 3068)
- Vanguard Legion (effectively destroyed in 3068)
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 195, "New Syrtis"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 89, "New Syrtis"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, pp. 42-43, "House Davion Key Worlds"
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 9, "Industrial Systems"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 38, "Against All Odds"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 46, "Alexander's Campaign"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 69, "War Heats Up"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Planet Guide"
- MechWarrior (1989 Video Game) (apocryphal)
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 18, "Federated Suns at their Founding -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 48, "Federated Suns after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 29, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map - "
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 54, "Federated Suns after First Succession War -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 113, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 60, "Federated Suns after Second Succession War -  Map"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Federated Suns Map - "
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 72, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere - "
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 43, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 21, "Federated Suns Armed Forces Deployment Map "
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. Vii, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Technical Readout: 3150, p. 26
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 42, "Varnay vs Davion"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 32, "Hostage Prince"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 43, "Alexander Escapes"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 45, "Victor of Nahoni"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 34, "General Alexander"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 47, "Rostov's Plan"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 57, "The Hasek Legacy"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 49, "The Davions Supreme"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 40, "The Last Hurrah"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 53, "Century of Peace"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 44, "Return of the Claimants"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 162, "Tiskilwa University"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 61, "Timeline: Second Succession War"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 84, "The Brotherhoods"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 153, "Johnston Industries"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), p. 175, "New Syrtis Shipyards"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 68, "Hasek's Machinations"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 83, "Timeline: Star League and FedCom Civil War"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 47, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 48, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 21, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 55, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 22, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 56, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 72-73, "Revenge"
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 3, "Industrial Update"
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 22, "Johnston Industries"
- Objectives: Federated Suns, p. 31, "Other Corporations"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 97, "Capellan March"
- House Davion (The Federated Suns), "Planet Guide"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 252, "SLDF - Federated Suns Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns, p. 19, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 134, "First Succession War Deployment Table - AFFS"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 135, "First Succession War Deployment Table - AFFS"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 11, "Operation RAT"
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1, p. 12, "Operation RAT"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 136, "Deployment Table"
- 20 Year Update, p. 70, "Com Guards Deployment Table"
- 20-Year Update, p. 21
- Objective Raids, p. 15, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Shattered Sphere, p. 31, "FedCom Deployment Table"
- Mercenaries Supplemental II, p. 65, "Mercenary Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 138, "Federated Suns Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 179, "Lyran Alliance Deploment Table"
- Field Report: AFFS, p.15
- Field Report: AFFS, p. 15, "Regimental Status"
- Field Report: AFFS, p.20
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 70, "Deployment Table - 3085"
- Imminent Crisis, c. 4
- 20 Year Update
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report: AFFS
- Field Report 2765: Federated Suns
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Davion
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Davion (The Federated Suns)
- Imminent Crisis (novel)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Mercenaries Supplemental II
- NAIS The Fourth Succession War Military Atlas Volume 1
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Federated Suns
- Shattered Sphere
- Technical Readout: 3150