Scorpion (Combat Vehicle)
|Scorpion Light Tank|
|Manufacturer||Quikscell Company, Joint Equipment Systems, Benson and Bjorn, Hellespont Industries|
|Engine||SitiCide 100 ICE|
|Communications System||Basix 200|
|Targeting Tracking System||OptiSight 12|
Initially produced by the Quikscell Company in 2807, the Scorpion tank is well known for being easy to repair, available in numbers, and, best of all, cheap. Because of these properties, it has achieved the nickname of "The Budget Tank." Found on many backwater and Periphery worlds, the Scorpion is a proven favorite due to its low cost. As with many Quikscell products, quality control is practically nonexistent. Many new Scorpions arrive with damaged or missing components.
Only marginally effective for a light tank, the Scorpion has proven effective in mass numbers. Swarms of Scorpions, easily procured due to their low cost, are an often-encountered danger on poorer worlds. The famed Scorpion's Nest training scenario was given its name because of this property.
Besides its use as a light tank, the Scorpion is often pressed into service as a scout. The vehicle is produced on many planets within the Inner Sphere.
Thanks to its carriage concept the design does have a quirk of being able to right itself, if it is flipped over (for example by artillery fire or inept piloting).
Weapons and EquipmentEdit
- Minesweeper (Prototype)
- By removing the turret, CCAF engineers freed enough weight and space to add a Minesweeper to the front of the tank. Intended to clean up battlefields littered with land mines, the Scorpion Minesweeper keeps the forward firing Machine Gun and adds a pair of LRM-5 missile launchers. These launchers are fed by a three ton bay. Typically a single ton of LRM ammunition is carried while the remaining two tons are filled with Mine Clearance Missiles. To provide extra protection for the crew, engineers added a ton of Modular Armor to the front of the Scorpion. BV (2.0) = 350
- Minesweeper (Production)
- This 3087 version of the Scorpion, produced by Aldis Industries, made several modifications to the prototype. The biggest modification is the replacement of the ICE engine with a Fuel Cell. The next largest change is the armor protection, which is provided by six tons of Hardened Armor. This has been shown to provide much more protection than the original armor. Like the prototype, the production Scorpion Minesweeper carries a pair of LRM-5 launchers fed from a three ton bay and a Machine Gun with a half ton of ammo. BV (2.0) = 452
- Desert Scorpion
- A variant produced for the Stotzing militia which is essentially a complete rebuild of the design. The local refit yard stripped out the engine of the standard Scorpion and replaced it with a 125 rated Fusion Engine. This increased the ground speed to a maximum of 84 km/h. The weaponry was also modified, with the autocannon being replaced by a Large Laser. An extra Machine Gun was added to the turret. For protection the Desert Scorpion carries seven tons of armor and CASE around the machine gun ammo. BV (2.0) = 554
In German products the unit's proper name was altered to Scorpio.
- MUL online date for the Scorpion (Combat Vehicle)
- Technical Readout: 3039, p. 35
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 17
- Technical Readout: 3085, p. 190, "Old is the New New" - Scorpion Light Tank
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New, p. 28
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 18
- Record Sheets: 3039, p. 19
- Record Sheets: Upgrades, p.8
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere), p. 33
- Experimental Technical Readout: Liao, p. 8
- Technical Readout: Prototypes, p. 33
- Touring the Stars: Stotzing, p. 11
- Experimental Technical Readout: Liao
- Master Unit List: Battle Value
- Record Sheets: 3058 Unabridged (Inner Sphere)
- Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged — Old is the New New
- Record Sheets: Upgrades
- Technical Readout: 3026
- Technical Readout: 3026 Revised
- Technical Readout: 3039
- Technical Readout: 3085
- Technical Readout: Prototypes