- This article is about the planet. For other uses, see Luthien (disambiguation).
Note: X and Y are coordinates (light years on XY plane) relative to Terra at (0, 0)
Luthien neighboring systems
|X:Y Coordinates||167.621 : 250.493[e]|
|Recharge time||181 hours|
|Recharge station(s)||Zenith, Nadir|
| Jump point
|Moons||4 (Tsu Shima, Orientalis, Hikisaku, Occidentalis)|
|Atmospheric pressure||Standard (Tainted-Pollution)|
|Equatorial temperature||35°C (Temperate)|
|Highest native life||Amphibian|
|Reference Year||3025 - 3079|
|Ruler|| Coordinator Takashi Kurita(3025)|
Coordinator Theodore Kurita (3067)
Daimyo Guilen Yokosama (3076)
|Population|| 5,203,000,000 (3025)|
|HPG (Representative)||A (Most Exalted Ambassador Tayless Gromminger, Precentor of Luthien Station) (3025)|
- 2309 - Independent world 
- 2310 - Alliance of Galedon 
- 2319 - Draconis Combine 
- 2571 - Draconis Combine 
- 2596 - Draconis Combine 
- 2750 - Draconis Combine 
- 2764 - Draconis Combine 
- 2765 - Draconis Combine 
- 2786 - Draconis Combine 
- 2822 - Draconis Combine 
- 2864 - Draconis Combine 
- 3025 - Draconis Combine 
- 3030 - Draconis Combine 
- 3050 - Draconis Combine 
- 3052 - Draconis Combine 
- 3057 - Draconis Combine 
- 3058 - Draconis Combine 
- 3063 - Draconis Combine 
- 3067 - Draconis Combine 
- 3075 - Draconis Combine 
- 3079 - Draconis Combine 
- 3081 - Draconis Combine 
- 3085 - Draconis Combine 
- 3130 - Draconis Combine 
- 3135 - Draconis Combine 
- 3145 - Draconis Combine 
Luthien, as well as being the capital of the Draconis Combine, is the state's largest industrial world, with large tracts of land devoted to huge industrial complexes, the housing necessary to support those facilities, and the infrastructure required to maintain it, as evidenced by the sheer amount of ferrocrete and asphalt. Due to the massive amounts of environmental decay resulting from the industrial growth, the planet has earned the nickname 'Black Luthien'.
Imperial City has been described as the 'crown jewel' of the planet. It is the home of the Kurita family and is surrounded by gardens and forests, unmolested and serene until the Black Dragon coup in late 3067.
The largest of the planet's numerous industrial complexes is located less than ten kilometers from the center of the capital city, on a series of man-made islands. Luthien Armor Works (LAW) has established its OmniMech production plant on Guthry Island and its headquarters complex, as well as LAW City is found on Tokyo Island. This facility fully covers ten square kilometers of the surface, as well as existing underground. It accounts for a significant degree of the planet's gross domestic product and provides income for millions of the planet's citizens.
The continent of Aichi is devoted largely to mining, primarily in the Fukui Wastes. Buda Weapons established its headquarters and facility at this location and the continent also hosts an example of the Environmental Reclamation Program, with over 500 hectares of forest transplanted in 3059.
The early history of the Combine, as well as the first Star League, is honored with numerous museums and memorials built in various locations around the planet. The largest is the Dragon's Tears Plaza, which has an army of samurai replicas depicting each warrior who died in defense of Luthien in 3052, during the Clan Invasion.
By the early twenty-fourth century, in the absence of central control from the Terran Alliance the world of Luthien had not only survived as an independent world, but had also managed to put itself in a position to exercise control over several neighboring worlds. When Director Shiro Kurita of the Alliance of Galedon conducted a year-long tour of worlds near the Alliance in 2309-2310, he included Luthien on his tour; he brought with him evidence purporting to show that one or more of the other small states nearby had designs on conquering Luthien, and offered to mediate between Luthien and its opponents. He also offered to protect Luthien by allowing Junction and its client worlds to join the Alliance, thereby allying itself with a stronger power.
The rulers of Luthien accepted this proposal, not realising that Director Kurita had invented the evidence and deliberately played a number of small states based around the worlds of Benjamin, Dieron, Junction, Pesht and Worrell against each other, dramatically expanding the Alliance's size.
Star League EraEdit
The Succession WarsEdit
First Succession WarEdit
In March 2787 the Lyran Commonwealth launched a couple of daring raids against the Draconis Combine, one of which was aimed at Luthien. Escorted by the Potemkin-class cruiser LCS Nightwind, the elite Tamar Tigers regiment mounted a daring deep-penetration raid against the Combine capital. The raid involved making a series of challenging jumps before emerging at a jump point in the Luthien system, at which point the Tamar Tigers dropped onto the surface of the planet to attack and destroy a trio of factories. As the Tigers hit their targets the Nightwind attacked and destroyed Luthien's orbital shipyards, having already destroyed Luthien's naval picket. The LCAF had anticipated that Luthien would be heavily defended, and as a result all twenty-five of the Nightwind's hard points were in use, giving her a full compliment of assault DropShips and fighter carriers, but the actual defending forces were minimal at best - a single Naga-class light destroyer named the Blue Lotus - and while the Blue Lotus was joined by a half-complete Narukami II-class destroyer that was under construction in the shipyards when the Nightwind arrived in the Luthien system, neither ship could halt the vengeful Lyran forces.
In addition to the loss of the orbital shipyards and two WarShips, the Lyran attack destroyed a Luthien Armor Works satellite BattleMech factory near the city of Obuchi, an ammunition factory on the outskirts of Skytower City and a food processing plant in Galileo, an agro-industrial city.
As a consequence of the raid and the resulting psychological damage inflicted the Combine would ensure throughout the remaining Succession Wars that at least four regiments of BattleMechs would be assigned constantly to the defense of Luthien; the two defending units at the time of the attack had been the Sun Zhang Military Academy Cadre located in the Imperial City and the Third Pesht Regulars assigned to defending the main LAW factories, leaving both units half a world away from the Tigers' drop zone on the Aichi continent.
In 2850 Luthien was also the site of the assassination of Yoguchi Kurita by his concubine Snow Fire. After returning from the defense of Tishomingo he came back to the planet, only to be put down in his sleep.
As a part of the Environmental Reclamation Project, over 500 hectares of forest were transplanted to the continent of Aichi in 3059.
The HPG on Luthien stopped transmitting on the 19th of December 3067, and late December the Kokuryu-kai (Black Dragons) initiated their coup of the ruling Kurita family with an assault upon the Imperial City.
Traitorous elements in the Second Sword of Light and the mercenary unit Sathen's Snipers overwhelmed the Otomo, the Izanagi Warriors, and other loyalists. Neither side gave an inch. In the end, the Black Dragons succeeded in wresting control of the capital. By the end of the last week, the Voice of the Dragon compound had fallen and on New Year's Day 3068, so had the Imperial Palace, though a small number of loyal defenders escaped with their lives thanks to the efforts of the First Genyosha, and they would continue to serve the Dragon against the traitors until the world was liberated.
The Word of Blake began an attack on Luthien with both black water naval and ground forces on the 1st of January 3068, and later in January, the Word of Blake's 9th Division landed on-planet, intending to make a show of force, stop the fight and help House Kurita, but everybody else on the planet saw them as enemies, and this  promptly sparked a three-way conflict between the Blakists, Black Dragon forces and Combine loyalists.
Precentor Alice Phuong then attempted diplomacy to rectify the situation. Trying to secure a cease-fire with the loyal DCMS, he led the Blakists to the main Luthien Armor Works facility, but Black Dragon agents, using secured codes from a high-level traitor, navigated the secured tunnels underneath the massive complex and set off a trio of nuclear devices. This destroyed the factory and put the blame on the shoulders of the Word of Blake. Even though Phuong attempted to prove she had not brought nuclear devices, as nobody believed them, and from then onwards, resistance against the Blakists was galvanized.
In response to the ongoing battles on Luthien one of the first decisions made by Warlord Kiyomori Minamoto directed that New Samarkand would serve as the capital of the Draconis Combine - both administrative and military - for as long as the crisis continued on Luthien.
For the better part of two years, no one could claim absolute control of the world, though the Blakists held the most important territory and the few remaining factories.
The Black Dragons provided reinforcements via the 6th Benjamin Regulars in June. In February 3069, additional Black Dragon support arrived with the under-strength 40th Dieron Regulars. By May, the Word of Blake countered with the arrival of the 42nd Shadow Division.
The Word of Blake WarShip fleet and Luthien's retasked battlesat system greeted the Nova Cat arrival. Though the Clan destroyed two Word of Blake WarShips, the engagement cost them one of their own and left their rest of their fleet severely damaged. On the 21st of July 3072, the vengeful Xi Galaxy of Clan Nova Cat arrived on-planet. On 21 August, in the Nagasaki community zone of the Crane district, a combined-arms battle occurred between Clan Nova Cat and Word of Blake forces, with the Clan withdrawing from the planet shortly thereafter. The 3072 campaign for Luthien would see the two of the Blakist destroyers recovered from the Ruins of Gabriel and elsewhere destroyed in the system, the Baron-class WoBS Light of Hope and the Carson-class WoBS Sword of Promise.
The Word of Blake's 32nd Division landed on the planet in February 3073, in order to assist the 9th and 42nd Shadow divisions in defending the Imperial City, following the departure of the Sathen's Snipers mercenary unit due to battle fatigue.
The rest of 3073 and 3074 passed in a stalemated blur. The lack of imports and exports slowly strangled the world, bringing disease, malnutrition, and famine increases among the populace and exacting a heavy toll. Those who supported the Word's troops saw an influx of supplies and assistance, as the Word controlled the space and skies above Luthien. During these time, both Loyalists and Black Dragons ambushed as much as possible the WoB forces.
In December 3074, the Alpha, Omega and Rho Galaxies of Clan Ghost Bear swept onto Luthien, intent on wiping out all Blakist forces. Having landed on both Luthien and Pesht on the 15th of December, the Ghost Bear forces never once offered zellbrigen to any of the Word units on either world, and effectively eradicated the Word forces on both worlds by the 20th of December. Very few survivors from the Word of Blake managed to flee or become captives, and the Ghost Bear forces destroyed any DCMS forces that attempted to interfere in the Ghost Bear campaign against the Word. When the Black Dragons attacked Dominion forces out of contempt, Omega Galaxy singularly destroyed the Sixth Benjamin and Fortieth Dieron. The Ghost Bear assault also claimed another WarShip from the Blakists core fleet, the Vincent Mk. 39-class corvette WoBS Blade of Righteousness, and in 3075 the Blakists lost another ship, the Aegis-class heavy cruiser Vision Quest, one of only three Clan-tech WarShips to have been captured by the Word of Blake during the Jihad.
As suddenly as they had arrived, the Ghost Bear forces left Luthien at the end of January, leaving the DCMS to frantically redeploy forces to fortify the world; the relief units began arriving two weeks later on the 14th of February, only to find no sign of any Blakist troops in the wake of the Ghost Bear withdrawal. The destruction of the 42nd Shadow Division on Luthien at the hands of the three galaxies of Ghost Bear troops represented the first instance of a Shadow Division being destroyed completely.
After the fight, the few Black Dragons who surrendered were soon executed. As the Jihad wound down, Luthien would once again be recognized as the capital of the Combine, but the devastation there would be decades in recovery.
As the Combine began to rebuild in the wake of the Jihad, the industrial sector on Luthien was the focus of reconstruction efforts; while the Luthien Armor Works facilities were all effectively a complete write-off following the destruction meted out at the hands of the Blakists, the Black Dragons and even the liberating forces, the remainder of Luthien's industry had suffered lower levels of damage. In an impressive effort, the Combine had managed to restore the bulk of the surviving industry back to full operating capability by mid 3081 with the exception of BBP Industries, and it was anticipated that even BBP Industries would be back to full working order within a few months.
- First Sword of Light (2 Battalions)
- Seventh Sword of Light (2 Battalions)
- Seventeenth Benjamin Regulars
- Second Genyosha (1 Battalion)
- First Shin Legion
- Second Legion of Vega
- Sathen's Snipers
- - In 3079 the 1st operating at 15% of full strength, with 100% of their equipment featuring upgraded technology.
| Planets within 2 jumps (60 light-years) |
Closest planets first:
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, pp. 3-4, "Luthien" (map)
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 181, "Luthien"
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers, p. 25, "Luthien"
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 11, "Luthien"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 78, "Luthien"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 23, "Political Maneuvers"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 18, "Draconis Combine -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 31, "Draconis Combine after Age of War -  Map"
- Historical: Reunification War, p. 159, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 2750, p. 37, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 25, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2, p. 122-123, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 43, "Draconis Combine after First Succession War -  Map"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), "Draconis Combine Map - "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 64, "Draconis Combine after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 70, "Federated Suns after Third Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 66, "Draconis Combine after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 71, "Federated Suns after Fourth Succession War -  Map"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 133, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 68, "Draconis Combine after War of 3039 -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 76, "Federated Suns after War of 3039 Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3052, p. 23, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 71, "Draconis Combine after Operation REVIVAL -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 11, Inner Sphere -  Map
- ">Handbook: House Davion, p. 78, "Federated Suns after Operation Guerrero -  Map"
- Era Report: 3062, p. 29, "Inner Sphere Map "
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 74, "Draconis Combine after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Handbook: House Davion, p. 82, "Federated Suns after FedCom Civil War -  Map"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 42, "Inner Sphere - [October 3067] Map"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 65, Inner Sphere -  Map
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 21, "Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery Deployment Map - [August 3079]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 63, "Inner Sphere Map - [March 3081]"
- Field Manual: 3085, p. 127, "Inner Sphere Map - [October 3085]"
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Era Report: 3145, p. 11, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Era Report: 3145, p. 39, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Field Manual: 3145, p. VI, "Inner Sphere -  Map"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 5, "Luthien"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 256, "SLDF - Draconis Combine Military Command Map"
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth), p. 48, "Tigers and Stealths"
- First Succession War, p. 47-48, "Steiner Strikes Back: Luthien and Dieron"
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine), p. 69, "The Sting of Snow Fire"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 44, "The Jihad In Review"
- Total Chaos, p. 50-53, "LUTHIEN"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 8, "Traitor's Kiss"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 6, "9th Division [Word of Blake]"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 46, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "6th Benjamin Regulars [Kokuryu-kai]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "40th Dieron Regulars [Kokuryu-kai]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "42nd Shadow Division [Word of Blake]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Xi Galaxy [Clan Nova Cat]"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 23, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 50, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 1, "Manifest Destiny"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Original Word Of Blake Fleet"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "32nd Division [Word of Blake]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Alpha Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Omega Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 7, "Rho Galaxy [Clan Ghost Bear]"
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien, p. 11, "Damnation"
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076, p. 55, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 53, "The Jihad In Review"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 128, "Captured Ships"
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra, p. 14, "Timeline of the Jihad"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 125, "Shadow Divisions"
- Jihad: Final Reckoning, p. 89, "Pesht Military District"
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 11, "BBP Industries"
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 11, "Ishikawajima-Harima Battle Armor Industries"
- Objectives: Draconis Combine, p. 11, "Matabushi Computing Equipment"
- Handbook: House Kurita, p. 164, "Ivory Trade of the Order of the Five Pillars"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 256, "SLDF - Draconis Combine Military Command Map"
- Field Manual: SLDF, p. 256, "SLDF - Draconis Combine Military Command Map"
- Field Report 2765: Draconis Combine, p. 8, "Regimental Status"
- Field Report 2765: Draconis Combine, p. 17, "Regimental Status"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 137, "First Succession War Deployment Table - DCMS"
- First Succession War (Source Book), p. 136-137, "First Succession War Deployment Table - DCMS"
- Historical: War of 3039, p. 139, "Deployment Table"
- 20-Year Update, p. 42
- Objective Raids, p. 28, "Draconis Comine Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Updates, p. 119, "Draconis Combine Deployment Table"
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine, p. 15, "Aerospace Assets"
- Field Manual: ComStar, p. 127, "Star League Defense Force Deployment Table"
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents, p. 110, "Word of Blake Mercenary Deployments"
- Field Report: DCMS, p. 12, "Genyosha Regimental Status"
- Era Report: 2750
- Era Report: 3052
- Era Report: 3062
- Era Report: 3145
- Field Manual: 3085
- Field Manual: 3145
- Field Manual: SLDF
- Field Manual: ComStar
- Field Manual: Draconis Combine
- Field Manual: Updates
- Field Report 2765: Draconis Combine
- Field Report: DCMS
- First Succession War
- Handbook: House Kurita
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 1
- Historical: Liberation of Terra Volume 2
- Historical: Reunification War
- Historical: War of 3039
- House Kurita (The Draconis Combine)
- House Steiner (The Lyran Commonwealth)
- Jihad: Final Reckoning
- Jihad Hot Spots: 3076
- Jihad Hot Spots: Terra
- Jihad Secrets: The Blake Documents
- Jihad Turning Points: Luthien
- Luthien (scenario pack)
- Map of the Inner Sphere 3130
- Masters and Minions: The StarCorps Dossiers
- Objective Raids
- Objectives: Draconis Combine